NuclearPlanet's avatar

NuclearPlanet

I can never watch Kathy Bates the same way ever again. This film is just so well directed and well written. For some reason, I wish It was longer.
Cadeicus's avatar

Cadeicus

>Paul typing on the typewriter.
>Camera looks at paper.
>spoiler
patato's avatar

patato

Im the number one fan of this film!
Snrub's avatar

Snrub

image
asiangotrice's avatar

asiangotrice

Wonderful acting by Kathy Bates
sandeyboy's avatar

sandeyboy

One of the greatest "lost in the bush" movies.
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

I have to admit, not everything in Misery works. There are some scenes and characters that could be spruced up or cut entirely. But when it works (and that's 90% of the time), it does so spectacularly.

Rob Reiner's Misery is an adaptation of a Stephen King novel about a writer trapped in the household of his "number-one fan." Its roots show in both good and bad ways. Stephen King is, first and foremost, a horror writer; horror is his strong suit. The tension in Misery is palpable, and ever-present, like the shadow of a huge, thunderous, grey cloud. And Rob Reiner has to be given credit for his virtuosic direction. While he does use the camera in a number of stylish and interesting ways, it's never to the detriment of the scene. Reiner never fails to inject the film with urgency, which elevates the material immeasurably.

Of course, the stars of the movie are, in this case, the stars. James Caan delicately sells the distressed-yet-snarky, and always charming protagonist. I could amost see Paul Sheldon's mental cogs turning, the thin layer of politeness holding back gushing tides of terror. And speaking of gushing, nobody could ever forget Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes. Every description I have read of her character and her performance do not to her justice. She is a spectacularly fleshed-out and scary character. Bates' incredible ability to change on a dime deserves every bit of credit it has received, and more. Wilkes is undoubtedly one of the greatest villains in film history, and maybe even one of the greatest characters, period.

No film is without its snags. The sheriff and his wife are relatively dull, and do detract from the more tense scenes. I could see somebody being bothered by the comedy, and I feel as though I should, but there was enough tension in those funny scenes (and they are funny), that I never tired of them, and the more horrific parts continued to chill me to the bone.

Even though this is a bit of a "hot take," as I just finished watching it, I'm certian I'll be putting Misery on again. Maybe this winter if I want to go without sleep for a day or two.
7 months 3 weeks ago
Pad's avatar

Pad

Really great movie! Recommended.
george4mon's avatar

george4mon

i agree underrated!
pim's avatar

pim

The scene where she has some fun with his ankles and a sledgehammer... Unforgettable!