safeeuropeanhome's avatar

safeeuropeanhome

Stunning movie, one every film lover should see. I can well imagine this is one of those films that gets better and better with multiple viewings, I watched it for the first time yesterday and it is one of those films you can't get out of your head for a while after first seeing it.

I do actually think you can make a coherent story out of the film, after reading around a bit I have something that works in my mind at least, and personally I found this one nowhere near as hard to try and understand as something like Persona or Synedoche, New York. There are bits that still don't fit in and tie together but in all honesty I don't care about these, it is still gripping. Truly great film from David Lynch.
Oneironaut's avatar

Oneironaut

Not usually a fan of overly ambiguous work, but in the case of Mulholland Drive I really liked coming up with my own conclusions. My mind hurt trying to piece together everything after watching it, only to have it all fall apart whenever I thought of it from a different angle.

There's no right or wrong answer here really, just enjoy what you've seen and make up whatever you want to believe.
corchap's avatar

corchap

A Love story in the city of dreams. What a masterpiece of film. Forget popular storytelling conventions. I cannot stop thinking about this movie.

For the people who don't get this movie, the less you understand about this movie is moreso the point of dreams, illusions and what we wish life would be rather than what reality is. I don't equate not understanding a film with being a terrible movie.
Mulholland Drive is one of the best pictures I have seen to date. Its hard to top this one. In my opinion very few do.
Mackmannen's avatar

Mackmannen

I have never been so scared from a movie as i was during the event taken place after about 25min.

I was absolutely enchanting i couldn't turn i off or even look away for a second.

It's truly an experience if you watch it alone at night for the first time.
CarlyK's avatar

CarlyK

This might be the first time ever that I don't understand a movie or don't know how it ends from the beginning. That's quite the accomplishment.
FoiNaCruz's avatar

FoiNaCruz

I really liked the movie, but the whole discussion here about whether it makes sense or not is just senseless (pun intended). Lynch never wanted to "explain" the movie and apparently liked it, when people came up with different interpretations. To some people it makes sense, because they want one to be, for other people there are different meanings that don't intertwine. The essential thing is to enjoy the movie, instead of watching for clues, that'll ruin it. The whole "you don't see the clue, you don't get the movie" is just bullshit from people who didn't get it either.
zheller667's avatar

zheller667

One of the greatest movies of all time and one of my favorites. As far as I'm concerned, Lynch's best movie. Everything just clicks for me. The colors, the shot composition, the mood, the humor, and the acting. Holy shit, Naomi Watts gives one of cinema's great performances in this movie. Hard to forget once you see it.
ArtiVlora's avatar

ArtiVlora

I think of lynch's films as dreams where each scenario is played out without a purpose and as a display of the subconscious mind. It may not be pieced logically and the acting is intentionally unconventional/weird (some may say "bad") to support this idea of a surreal series of dream episodes.
creole's avatar

creole

When I first watched this I was intrigued by the elusive meaning of the movie. The more I watched it, however, I realized that David Lynch had clearly hacked together what started out as a TV show into a movie. The movie doesn't make sense, and it's not supposed to.
stellaslove's avatar

stellaslove

I am definitely on the 'completely blown away' team!
interpol28's avatar

interpol28

You'll either hate this or be completely blown away! There is no in-between

A surreal Hollywood puzzler that's rife for multiple interpretations, but not as incomprehensible as some would have you believe. It shares DNA, I think, with the Cohen Brothers' Barton Fink, where Hollywood is cast as the Devil's playground. Half the film is a dream, but which half? I think you could make a case for either. Naomi Watts is great in her dual role, representing well the corruption of innocence the film wants to get at. Once should not neglect the subplot about a director frustrated by the studio, which probably has the some autobiographical element to it. In fact, there's every sense that this is Hollywood as seen by an insider. Beautifully shot, enigmatic, sensual, at once classic and modern. I wish all the movies on this list of films I've somehow missed over the years would be this interesting.
mathiasa's avatar

mathiasa

@Peeorpoo: Well, you forgot to check it then.
GodPepper's avatar

GodPepper

Is it me, or Dieguito M. has seen and comented in all of the films over here?

Keep it going, man.