Msainy's avatar

Msainy

"My feelings? About ten years ago, I hid them somewhere and haven't been able to find them."
camilocabrera22's avatar

camilocabrera22

Great screenplay.
Great performances.
Great cinematography.
Full of amazing one-liners.
For anyone who wants to be lured by the style of film noir, this is the film to watch.
corchap's avatar

corchap

One of the finest noirs ever made as well as the "best cigarette smoking movie ever made". Ebert said that and I quite agree, adds to the mood and atmosphere.
Ivan0716's avatar

Ivan0716

The perfect noir.
ebaum1saik's avatar

ebaum1saik

@dombrewer

To each his own. I hate Bogart noirs because of Bogart. (In a Lonely Place being the gigantic exception)

About that ending though... you didn't think he knew and accepted it. Seemed like the point to me.
SlappyVega's avatar

SlappyVega

Kirk Douglas is the one to watch in this one. He holds that sly grin as long as he can. Greatness.
Flowneppets's avatar

Flowneppets

This film is a flawless masterpiece.
-1flb2-'s avatar

-1flb2-

Great movie. Mitchum & Douglas what else could you ask for. Great dialogue and one liners. Film still holds up till today.
dombrewer's avatar

dombrewer

I'm veering towards Ebbywebby's summary - it was all extremely well made, but somehow it didn't grab me. Mostly it was the lead performances - Mitchum affects so much nonchalance and does so little as Jeff he actually began to bore me with his emotional absence. There's cool, and then there's "whatever". Bogart, who wanted the role, would have been perfect. Jane Greer has a peach of a part as permanently scheming Kathie, but I didn't think she was half attractive or talented enough - she looked tired and like she was about to cry most of the time. Rhonda Fleming in a smaller, similarly conniving, role would have made a sparkier and sexier Kathie in my opinion. Kirk Douglas and Paul Valentine play their villainous roles to perfection. I loved the dark cinematography and corkscrew plot, but the hard boiled wisecracking plot started to get on my nerves and the end seemed senseless - spoiler. I think there are smarter, wittier and darker noirs out there.
pallmallandcoke's avatar

pallmallandcoke

i'm in love with this movie.
aironet's avatar

aironet

This movie is pure genius! My favorite film noir and that's saying something.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Great movie, the typical Noir, one of the best!
browniemcfi's avatar

browniemcfi

Absolutely amazing movie, gripping and brilliantly acted. Jane Greer is gorgeous!
Pike's avatar

Pike

This and Double Indemnity are the best noirs I have seen. Mitchum was cool as hell, Kirk Douglas was a vicious bastard. Great dialouge, literally razor-sharp and an astoundingly violent climax. Good stuff.
Limbesdautomne's avatar

Limbesdautomne

I would like to buy this film, not La Griffe du passé.