MrSoprano89's avatar

MrSoprano89

for me the standout performance of andy garcia made this an enjoyable flick
lachyas's avatar

lachyas

Liked the premise and the execution for the most part, but the ending feels like a complete betrayal of the ethical dilemmas posed previously and is such a complete cop-out that I'd be amazed if the rumoured reshoots weren't done to plaster over an original, spoiler ending. I mean spoiler practically writes itself.
Aither's avatar

Aither

I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. Jennifer was very good and Chris Pratt as well. The movie has nice effects, I really enjoyed them, and a good plot. The moral of the story is also good, the dilemmas etc.

Surprisingly very good!
Ronet's avatar

Ronet

Went in as blind as possible and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jashezilla's avatar

Jashezilla

Surprisingly enjoyed it. Managed to almost flawlessly pull off a perfect blend of sci-fi, drama, romance and adventure. Sure it could've been a bit more of a thriller, but for what it was, awesome film.
Carota's avatar

Carota

Kubrick references
252's avatar

252

It's no coincidence that the ship, given the right angle, resembles a piece of DNA-strand.

Are we passengers on the DNA-ship? With that in mind, this romance plot and the chemistry between the protagonists are in themselves great vehicles to spark some deep questions. If we are indeed just vehicles for the DNA-system, how, when and why should we even choose a partner and procreate? Also, what about love and Love?

Jim chose a beautiful interesting woman, without ever having smelled her or having been in contact with her biological system at all. If it wasn't a hormone or 'ideal mate' thing, aside from the looks and intellect hinting at good genes, then what motivated him to choose her as his potential mate (because, hey, what do you expect in an Adam and Eve type situation).

Lots and lots of things to think about if you can avoid the blame game. (see if you can live without any human contact for over a year).

Great film and I liked the acting, setting and theme. The ending might have been altered to fit a broader audience, which is unfortunate, but it works.
_andrea_'s avatar

_andrea_

Is it as bad as the critics are saying it is? No, not really. The effects were good, the acting was great, it's just the story is... problematic.

spoiler
DrakeFromTheNorth's avatar

DrakeFromTheNorth

With great CGI, cinematography, and cast (A movie with both Chris Pratt AND Jennifer Lawrence? Couldn't have picked a better cast to star off 2017 with), this movie was almost flawless. Though in my opinion, it was the promotion of this movie that let it down. Claiming to be the "biggest movie of all time", I was kinda disappointed. The trailer itself showed the movie as a thriller with tons of plot twists, but those plot twists were basically all shown at the start of the movie. And the thriller elements seemed to only be in the last 20 mins or so. I still really enjoyed this movie, but nobody will be calling this the "greatest movie of all time" any time soon.
Suricata's avatar

Suricata

I enjoyed it, some nice messages in the film, good special effects, acting was top notch as well. It's not an action move though, so don't go in expecting a faced paced sci-fi flick!
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Enjoyable!

Passengers changes tack with every act, which is partly why it gets a bad rap, I think. It starts as a deserted island story, becomes a romance that plays awkwardly in the Age of Consent, and finally turns into a disaster thriller as the spaceship setting breaks down. Movie goers interested in any one of these could be left unsatisfied because the other elements get in the way. But as a plot, one flows into the other quite naturally, and though Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence don't exactly stretch their acting muscles, they are quite watchable in this. The romance is difficult, yes, but it IS presented as an important dilemma, and in the end, where else can it go? We can accept both the mistake that throws them together and their acceptance of their fate. If there's a real problem, it's that the film is too crowded. There's a lot of world-building - and the film certainly looks great - but some elements stay in the deep background while they could have, with a line here and there, made a POINT. As the film nears its end, it starts taking shortcuts in the both the mechanics of the disaster resolution and the relationship, perhaps one too many to get to the finish line properly. And while getting a coda is nice, a more elaborate montage sequence might have made everything better. The closure it offers is partial at best. The film goes into fruitful and complex territory when it asks "What would happen if..?", but never gets to answer it in full.
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

8/10

Fantastic movie, beautiful but at the same time frightening in a way the classic "The Shining" by Kubrick did.
dippygirl78's avatar

dippygirl78

From watching the trailer I had no idea what the film was about save for the basic premise... Only 2 on a ship in space. I hated The Martian so thought I would be bored silly when my niece asked me to see it with her.
I LOVED IT!!!! The acting was amazing, I love Jennifer and was impressed by Chris as well. Good story, really made me think. Maybe a tad longer than it had to be but not overly.
Baxrus's avatar

Baxrus

I thought it was a good movie. Chris Pratt continue to impress me.