KaramAkerfeldt's avatar

KaramAkerfeldt

Disgusting how the Americans' actions are glorified in war films.
Justcharmingyou's avatar

Justcharmingyou

"The first casualty of war is innocence"
Forrester's avatar

Forrester

Definitely one of the best war movies I've ever seen. Very realistic and brutal. I also love the music that's used during the movie (Adagio For Strings).
ecnered's avatar

ecnered

The very straight-forward war portrait. One of the best!
Daddy Cool's avatar

Daddy Cool

WTF is with that Nazi flag up that tank at the end :P
Paravail's avatar

Paravail

Certainly a classic war film. But there are classics and there are classics. This one, I felt, is a weaker entry in the canon. Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan are better. Those films have a level of perfectionism and craftsmanship that simply isn't present here. This film felt a little cheaper. In one scene, there's a shot-reverse-shot of two characters, and one of the characters, in the return shot, is dressed completely different and has different makeup. During the climax, when a bomber is flying in, it's very obvious that instead of filming an actual plane, they superimposed an animation of one on a still image. Don't get me wrong: This film gets plenty right, and I know I may sound like I'm nitpicking. It's just that compared to the other canonical war films, this one seemed to cut some corners in terms of film making.
gbpxl's avatar

gbpxl

"War isnt hell. War is war and hell is hell. And of the two, Id say war is much worse..."

Brutal movie that depicts the reality of the Vietnam War
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Pretty grim and brutal.
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

Platoon is the first Oliver Stone movie I liked.

Well, not quite so. I liked Born on the Fourth of July, but that was more begrudging respect than enjoyment or appreciation. Platoon is a film I really do like, even if it exhibits the Oliver Stone trademarks that would engulf his later work. It's a powerful film, but also one that's trying a little too hard to be powerful.

Platoon is a film about an American infantryman named Chris Taylor serving in the Vietnam War. This film is based on director/writer Oliver Stone's experiences in that infamous multi-decade dogfight. The film is dedicated in part to showcasing Taylor's transition throughout his tour from a somewhat spoiler rich kid to... hmm. To be frank, this thread is pretty underdeveloped. One of the pitfalls of the film is that there seems to be a more complex journey for Taylor intended than what I witnessed. All I saw was naive guy goes through war and becomes more hardened. Where's the admiration for Barnes that they mentioned towards the end? I certainly don't recall that. I have a feeling some of this was lost in editing for reasons of pace, because where the story fails the pacing prevails. It's far from the greatest screenplay ever, but it's a film that rarely ever falls into a lull. The little character interaction scenes, of which there are many, are effective. These are not top-tier complicated characters, but they're well-drawn and recognizable. Perhaps my favourite was Bunny, the cold psychopath with absolutely no scruples. Kevin Dillon is wonderfully creepy in the role, bringing a certain everyday guy vibe to him.

While, as mentioned, I liked the film, what Pauline Kael said about it spoke volumes to me. Even though I often disagree with her, she's got interesting feelings about manipulation in film. I'll end this review with a link to her great review of Platoon. I can't come up with a good final sentence, so here you go!

dirte_lawndre's avatar

dirte_lawndre

My new favourite war movie!
Oneironaut's avatar

Oneironaut

Powerful. Probably the war movie that has had the biggest impact on me.
bartleby187's avatar

bartleby187

Definitely the ones that stood out the most were Tom Berenger & Willem Dafoe. and Keith David for me stood out amongst the soldiers, even though Charlie Sheen was the central character of this film
MW22's avatar

MW22

A great movie yeah, brilliant music, direction and some great performances. Especially from Berenger. However I still think Sheen could have given more.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

great movie, good acting and direction
lopan017's avatar

lopan017

The lead singer of Living Colour is in it.