mpouk's avatar

mpouk

Excellent performances, realistic atmosphere, cleverly constructed plot and an emphasis on ethical dilemmas make Prisoners one of the best thrillers of the last decade.
piratediscoking's avatar

piratediscoking

This certainly ranks among the great films you watch once. Just once.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

Awesome movie, awesome performance by Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal, I am hoping a nomination for these two Great actors.
4.5/5
Torgo's avatar

Torgo

Bleak and gripping for the whole of its 150 minutes, this is easily best of the year material.
God's avatar

God

Amazing movie, beautifully shot. Not surprising coming from the guy who directed Incendies, one of the most memorable movies I've seen.
Eddyspeeder's avatar

Eddyspeeder

Brilliant acting, intricate plot and a stunning cinematography.

A daring move is giving the audience time to think along, by leaving most scenes at a pace that resembles real life. Here you should beware of the trailer, which will make you expect events following each other up quickly. It's a thriller that takes you seriously. Enjoy!
ana87rnb's avatar

ana87rnb

wow! what a movie !
rhaella's avatar

rhaella

eerie atmosphere throughout the whole movie, nice cinematography and a great plot. definitely one of the bests in 2013.
jktomas's avatar

jktomas

Another one of those fantastic, well acted, masterfully crafted thrillers that I'll never watch again because I know how it ends.

I feel sad for thrillers like that. So much work and talent goes into it and after you watch it you are done. I loved all the performances in this movie, I loved cinematography too, it's so realistic, really draws you in. But the whole film was built on tension and many scenes lose a lot of value when you know the conclusion. I imagine myself watching this movie again, but some other similar thrillers not so much. I'm not criticizing the film at all by the way, it's nearly perfect for what it is, but that's just my thoughts on this genre of films.
CSSCHNEIDER's avatar

CSSCHNEIDER

Surprisingly pretty great. I have qualms, but it's been too long since a solid mystery thriller crossed my path.
dantheman89's avatar

dantheman89

This one is a bit of a head scratcher...

on the pro side:
1) the much cited atmosphere. I'm just a sucker for that bleak, lower middle-class rural America getup
2) the acting - Gyllenhaal and Jackman
3) the writing - surprisingly captivating and tense

the cons:
1) (minor con) the run time - for what they have 2.5 hours is too much. Could've easily been condensed and would have been better for it.
2) The ending - Even though the twist was pretty predictable halfway through I didn't expect a "happy ending", which sort of didn't go with the flavor of the rest. On the other hand I can't think of a way to make a depressing ending for this that fits either...
3) Was it just me or did they try somewhat hard to shoe-horn some anti-atheism in there? The good people keep praying while the bad ones "wage a war on god" due to some prior trauma?

overall not sad I saw it - 5.5/10
Galemathias's avatar

Galemathias

Most of the script is well thought through, which makes it very suspenseful. Reminded me of Zodiac, with another amazing effort by Gyllenhaal. In fact, the acting is solid from the entire cast. The crime dimension of this thriller is slightly predictable, and it has some lose ends. It doesn't quite follow through with the themes we are introduced to in the opening scenes. But hey, Prisoners does make the audience it's prisoners. 5/6
Ressa's avatar

Ressa

I expected just another crime-thriller, but was surprised.
Not a masterpiece though, but definitely a good and watchable movie. A fresh, new way of exploring the classsic thriller-plot. For once in many years, you don't know everything long before the main characters do. Refreshing. Sadly it becomes quiet predictable at the end.
OMERFT's avatar

OMERFT

Pray for the best,prepare for the worst.Prisoners is one of the extremely perfect movies I've ever watched in last few years.
Rigters's avatar

Rigters

Great, great movie. We've all have seen movies about this theme, but I loved the way the director still was able to pull some big scenes and revelations. A movie to be remembered for sure.