neocowboy's avatar

neocowboy

Inspirational? spoiler
jhhayes's avatar

jhhayes

Inspirational!

Rudy is the sports movie that apparently makes sports fans weep. I can see why, but even if the eponymous character's fannish devotion is something I can understand as a card-carrying geek, I didn't find it all that affecting. While no sports fan, I have enjoyed many films about sportive underdogs, the theme of which has frequently been that it's better to participate with heart than half-ass it with talent. I guess my problem is two-fold. First, Rudy's experience seems repetitive as he jumps through hoops to get on Notre Dame's football team, is told he can't do it, whines about it, shows he has heart, is given opportunity, jumps through next hoop, and so on. Obviously, we're hostages to the true details of the story, but still, it's about what you decide to focus on in these cases. Second, Rudy's achievement doesn't really feel like one. We spend too little time getting to know his teammates for it to mean something when they decide to put their last game on the line for him. It's just an accepted fact that they all respect him. And every step of the way, though he works hard, he's always being thrown a bone. His achievement is getting everyone's respect despite his lack of ability, I get that, but the narrative is all about everyone giving him a push, not his own agency. And still he whines. "Put me in coach! Put me in coach!" Gah. All that said, it's a perfectly watchable sports movie, but an overrated one, I'm afraid.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

This movie is based on a true story, that is impressive.
Is an inspirational movie, a hard road to meet his destiny, that he always believed and never give up.
spoiler
4.25/5
Mackmannen's avatar

Mackmannen

Broke my heart, ;(
CrumbThumber's avatar

CrumbThumber

Made me root for Notre Dame. Thumbs up for that alone.
somethingterminal's avatar

somethingterminal

Rudy is such an amazing movie. Honestly, was welling up all the way through it, it really hit home. It's one of those movies that makes you want to be a fighter and realise that you can do anything if you want it enough.
Metalmidget's avatar

Metalmidget

It made me cry. Honestly one of the most inspirational movies ever made!
ErikSchierboom's avatar

ErikSchierboom

One of the best!
MMDan's avatar

MMDan

Is it as meaningful a film if the ending is in the zeitgeist?
pim's avatar

pim

This must be a great movie with at title like this!