cinemamour's avatar

cinemamour

This film is so amazing! Harold was a wonderful comedian, and it's far from being boring.
sammysin's avatar

sammysin

This is piss your pants funny stuff. I must have laughed for 70 minutes straight, then some more after it finished.

Right up there with Modern Times as one of my favourite hilarious films of all time.
Alias's avatar

Alias

What a sweet and thrilling film! Didn't expect it to be this good
saydin7's avatar

saydin7

revolution of comedy
badblokebob's avatar

badblokebob

The first 50-or-so minutes are very good, but the last act is absolutely phenomenal -- both funny and tense. A "thrill picture" indeed.
jrod944's avatar

jrod944

thanks!

rivals the General as the best silent comedy as far as Im concerned. Flat out terrific
marypickfords's avatar

marypickfords

I saw it with my little sisters and we laughed from begining to end. One of my favorite silents!
dr love's avatar

dr love

epic!!!
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Good silent comedy!

Safety Last! So shouts was is ostensibly Harold Lloyd's best remembered film - that shot of him on the clock is an enduring image of silent cinema - though I perhaps lied The Freshman better. In this one, Lloyd leaves a fiance behind to strike it rich in the big city and lies to her about his success there. In reality, life is hard for a department store clerk who's blowing all his cash on fancy presents to keep up the lie. Well, of COURSE she's gonna show up out of the blue. She's my main problem with the film, which otherwise has some brief racist caricatures we have to deal with. It's clear that she can't respect him UNLESS he's well-to-do, and his well-to-do persona is a jerk on par with the managerial jerks he works for. That makes me dislike her - I audibly groaned - undermining my investment in the story. But then there's that final wall-climbing sequence and everything is forgiven. It was so well-made it gave me vertigo. So while it was full of all the sorts of gags the rest of the movie prepared us for, it also kept me on the edge of my seat. Safety Last goes from amusing to delirious in that last reel.
5 months ago
Typically Thomas's avatar

Typically Thomas

It's public domain now: https://youtu.be/V-XZWZVVhvQ
baraka92's avatar

baraka92

In the TSPDT list at last!
qoouep's avatar

qoouep

I really enjoyed it, but the third act drug on a little bit.
dif777's avatar

dif777

@jrod944, or you can see it here: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/HvgEvlbgTbg/
dif777's avatar

dif777

@ jrod944, u can se the movie here http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTE1OTQ3NjQ=.html