lucynevin's avatar

lucynevin

I thought this was a fun, happy dance flick..I was wrong.
Sviggolo's avatar

Sviggolo

One of the best american social realist dramas of the seventies. I thought it was going to be a dance flick, but it isn't. Well, it got a few dance scenes in it, but it's all for the benefit of the story, and it's more like a backdrop for the characters and their problems. I don't like disco music in particular, but here it works very well. One of Travolta's finest performances both as an actor and dancer.
WithACamera's avatar

WithACamera

I was drawn to this movie by Roger Ebert's Great Movies list. Like other commenters, I was expecting something else. spoiler Saturday Night Fever mercilessly portrays 70’s hypermasculine culture, but in a way in which the male characters act with impunity. While having some interesting things to say about class, racism and cycles of violence, I was most struck by the misogyny in this film.
3 months ago
mi-16evil's avatar

mi-16evil

Gene Siskel's all time favorite movie. Who would've guessed?
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Classic! Songs are great and the mood of the disco 70's were really well captured by this movie
junegoon's avatar

junegoon

One of the most disgustingly misogynistic movies I have ever seen. I want my two hours back.
maluc21's avatar

maluc21

I enjoy so much the dances
glenngr's avatar

glenngr

Unintentionally fun when you watch it today.
Recommended!
ClassicLady's avatar

ClassicLady

I don't know why but I was shocked at the language. I thought this was a teeny-bopper, disco dance flick. I was never interested in it when it was popular and now I see why. I have to wonder if Travolta is embarrassed now by some of his moves in this film.
nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

Escape from New York, social realist disco style!

auvajs's avatar

auvajs

If you put your dick in a spic, does it get bigger than a nigger? :D