shitmovies's avatar

shitmovies

Nuked is incorrect. There are definitely predictable as fuck formulaic paint-by-numbers out there, by the dozen.
This however, is not one of them. It was a great thriller and kept you guessing as to what was reality all the way through.
heatherly's avatar

heatherly

It was okay. I think I probably would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't already been spoiled for the ending before I watched it.
alecto's avatar

alecto

Uses old tired twists. It doesn't matter if they are "predictable" but what is more important: the plot doesn't challenge the history or status quo but abuses the already deep stigma of mental illnesses.
Limbesdautomne's avatar

Limbesdautomne

When the story design overwrites the storytelling.

Read more in French on La Saveur des goûts amers.
faisalmoon2's avatar

faisalmoon2

well good thrill with a twist. while watching i feel like i was there nice work ldc
Cristiandelicia's avatar

Cristiandelicia

A funny remake of Das gabinet des Dr. Caligari.
3/5
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Excellent moody and creepy Hitchcock like thriller/drama with twists and turns. Based on the excellent book by Dennis Lehane with a top notch cast
Mustafacc's avatar

Mustafacc

spoiler

Shutter Island is also a prison movie of sorts, so it makes sense to have shotgunned these two back to back, but I really didn't know anything about this picture going in. On the surface of it, it's about a 1950s U.S. marshal who goes to what we might call Arkham Island (in the Batman sense, not the Lovecraft sense) to find an escaped patient, but winds up stumbling on a government conspiracy. In essence, it's Scorsese trying to do Fincher, and it's an awkward fit. Impeccably filmed, great shots and everything, but it's really two movies. The one before the giant twist (which either twists too far or not far enough) is immersive and intriguing. And I like the ramifications of the twist, thinking about how the strangeness of the pre-twist movie can be explained, etc. But I still hate the twist. Maybe the movie should have left us right there, reeling, but it keeps going, over-explains itself, and feels quite limp in the end. There are two movies I might like in Shutter Island, but neither is satisfying when grafted on the other.
Nuked's avatar

Nuked

As a general rule of thumb: If "predictable" is all you get out of and can say about a movie, then you probably shouldn't be sharing your opinion on movies. Since you know jackshit. Would anyone ever summarize Citizen Kane as predictable? You could, but it'd also be the dumbest thing ever said about it.
nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

the ambiguous ending is ok by me, this looks good and engages while it lasts, but the »enactment premise« is really silly – nothing for the book

HyliaFischer's avatar

HyliaFischer

The actors and the cinematography is stunning. The story was kind of predictable. If I know there will be a twist, I always make predictions like "I think the twist will be...." and this time my prediction came true. It was the exact same ending I once saw in another movie called "Breaking Dawn" (not the twilight one).
horusbg's avatar

horusbg

I remember watching this. I was kind of - oh please oh please don't and like I think you will. And it happened...But good performance tho.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

I really loved this one. I had no idea (previously) what it was about when I first saw it. DiCaprio was really good and somehow the story gripped me from the beginning. There was a lot of suspense and I did not see the twists and turns coming, which was nice.

The ending is amazing and it blew me away - and even after this blow there is a scene at the VERY end that keeps you guessing again and leaves room for various interpretations. Great!

EDIT: Saw it again, favorited it, it's just too good!
By the way, the music is great as well and there are some visually impressive dream sequences and powerful symbols throughout the movie.
Jinkla's avatar

Jinkla

loved it. i really wish i went into this not knowing about some sort of twist, that way i wouldn't have looked for it at every corner of the film. regardless this was an impressive film and scorsese can clearly deliver a compelling psychological thriller as opposed to his usual crime drama schtick. if this film has you intrigued in even the slightest, then do not even hesitate.
sidenote: dicaprio continues to impress me as an actor, and i can see why scorsese keeps coming back to him.
9/10