ntan's avatar

ntan

This is exactly the kind of movie you show up with expectations for, and those expectations are fulfilled.

Those can be either: "I view film as pure escapism and want nothing else in a movie!" Check.

Or: "I expect this to be garbage but I'm going to have a good time so I don't care" Check.

Dwayne Johnson scales a building like Spider-Man using a 2 inch ledge and some duct tape, he swings from a makeshift rope and leaps to safety like Tarzan, and villains have thick accents.

If this sounds like it's up your alley, you'll have a blast. If you expect more, don't.
dainamo's avatar

dainamo

One of the most cynical films I've seen for years. You can almost hear the studio execs sitting around a table.

"How do we tap into the Chinese market?"
- "Set it in Hong Kong!"

"What action film does everyone love?"
- "Die Hard!"

"Who's the most bankable guy in Hollywood?"
- "The Rock!"

"We have a winner!"
1 year 1 month ago
Laydback's avatar

Laydback

Well, at least Neve Campbell has gotten hotter with age!
7 months 2 weeks ago
Agrimorfee's avatar

Agrimorfee

Thoroughly enjoyable action pic. The Rock is Parent Of The Year.
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

7/10
My cup of tea. Not a new John McClane, but God darn heavy in the layout. Not a quiet moment the movie through!
10 months 3 weeks ago

I like a good Die Hard, and I did like Skyscraper, but usually, the formula is "Die Hard in... a plane, a hockey game, etc.". When you're doing Die Hard in a building, even if it's a substantially different building, you're asking for unflattering comparison, even if you cross its DNA with The Towering Inferno (and maybe a little Enter the Dragon). The Pearl, a super-tall structure in Hong Kong, is its own setting, but there are times when you recognize Die Hard's story beats even if the numbers have been filed off. It has little of Die Hard's texture or humor, its straightforward plot almost never showing anything that isn't Chekov's gun. In almost every case, you see the action coming, usually from the moment it's telegraphed. Still, Dwayne Johnson is as affable as usual, Neve Campbell shows she deserves more badass action roles (no damsel in distress, this), and I liked Byron Mann in the mostly thankless role of Inspector Wu. At its best, Skyscraper uses its vertiginous to create palpable tension. At it's worst, it's still an okay, but less than memorable, entertainment.