tin can's avatar

tin can

Lovely bittersweet piece of nostalgia.
mayshake's avatar

mayshake

'Alright, alright, Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog. What's Goofy?'
Banned User's avatar

Banned User

Wish I was this cool when I was 12
Cadeicus's avatar

Cadeicus

spoiler
Vega's avatar

Vega

A really good movie about friendship.
vmunda's avatar

vmunda

make you feel nostalgic .
eumer's avatar

eumer

Brilliant but sad life story
elizabethyates's avatar

elizabethyates

One of the very few films I can watch at any given moment and still laugh, cry, and enjoy as much as I did the first time seeing it. Forever an absolute favorite.
Windill's avatar

Windill

Beautiful movie in which a grown-up remembers his 12-year-old summer adventure with his 3 best friends.
1 month 1 week ago

Hadn't seen Stand By Me in ages, but I haven't forgotten just how influential it was at the time. There's no doubt in my mind that it spawned The Wonder Years, and of course, most of its young stars went on to memorable things - Wil Wheaton (who didn't grow up to look like Richard Dreyfuss), tragic River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Slider-in-chief Jerry O'Connell, and here a teenage Kiefer Sutherland. But it's not anchored in the time it was made. It's a universal coming of age film with a so strong a nostalgic streak, the boys' adventure manages to evoke Vietnam despite taking place before it (this is where I learned about leeches, and unrelatedly, the dangers of pie eating contests) as part of its theme of mortality. You'd think 12-year-olds wouldn't be thinking about death, but I think that's where the present-day author comes in, imbuing the tale (in a postmodern way) with that tone, as much as the events themselves. After all, these are boys who go searching for the dead body of a missing kid, the protagonist instinctually drawn to it by the death of his own brother. Death is in fact prevalent in Stephen King's tale, whether it's the death of people, eras, friendships, or innocence. Powerful, memorable, thoughtful, touching... just a great film.
3 months 3 weeks ago
dorkusmalorkus's avatar

dorkusmalorkus

A great movie about the difficulties of growing up a white boy in small town USA.

Being neither white nor male, there were several plot points that only prompted me to think "so what?" or "why should I care?" instead of eliciting a genuine emotional response.

Regardless, a well put-together and well paced film well worth a watch, especially considering its extremely reasonable runtime.
Clara Bow's avatar

Clara Bow

Wtf is wrong with you people; this movie is great.
johnrobinsonn's avatar

johnrobinsonn

Some of the acting was a bit ropey from the three kids that weren't River Phoenix but still a great movie that could easily have been about half an hour longer.
musicguyguy's avatar

musicguyguy

SPOILER alert for ChloeAntonia8
phoenixrising's avatar

phoenixrising

I really enjoyed this, though I don't really know if it deserves to be in the top 250