Scream1008's avatar

Scream1008

Wow, a 1:1 Favorite-Dislike ratio. That's crazy. This truly is a love-it-or-hate-it movie. I think it is fantastic. It's great how the mythology is explored at the beginning of the film to plant the seeds in your head as to what could be happening in these woods later on. But it's really inspiring to watch one of the greatest success stories in the history of cinema. Cost nothing to make, made a ton.

I also have to say that this movie should be the benchmark for convincing acting in a horror movie. I was so utterly convinced that these people were going through an incredibly terrifying experience by the actors' portrayals of mental degradation and anxiety. I think acting is at its best when you can be convinced that these are real people, and this was done very well.

But seriously, people...just because this film was made cheap doesn't mean it was lazily made. Quite the contrary. I think the people that dislike it either don't have the imagination to fill in the blanks of what's going on or just can't tolerate ambiguity.
GregT's avatar

GregT

I liked this one a lot. The backlash has been undeserved.

A horror film for those not lacking in imagination.
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

Don't watch this if you expect eye-candy, gore, knives, blood, flying chairs, zombies, sound bangs and all the other stereotypical clich├ęs that make most cheap horrors suck.
9/10
SeanMX12's avatar

SeanMX12

The most effective horror film of all time. It would be the one film i'd like to see in a theater.
Jashezilla's avatar

Jashezilla

Awesome movie! For people who don't understand the ending: spoiler
Peeorpoo's avatar

Peeorpoo

A well-made film. Very creepy. Like Scream1008 said, the actors did a great job.
whoami's avatar

whoami

This was crazy good, in my opinion. Not for everyone, but this movie scared the shit out of me in broad daylight.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Cult for its creativity at the time. First blockbuster made with a personal small camera
fjcaetano's avatar

fjcaetano

Truly revolutionary, this movie has introduced the handycam perspective to action and terror movies with maestry. Used for the first time with wisdom, it puts you in first person in one of the scariest movies ever.

The suspense and the tension were perfectly built, and the fact that you never really know what is going on, and not be able to see, makes you even more anxious. It is not about the disgusting scenes, special effects and monsters, there are none. It's about always keep expecting something to happen. You can feel your skin crawl.

Remarkably cheap, this is the movie with biggest financial return in history and once you see it, it's crystal clear how it is true.

One of those movies you have to see before you die, even if you're not the terror genre fan.

9/10
americanadian25's avatar

americanadian25

Decent, something of an in the moment film, but definitely one that's left a mark on the genre.
hidalgon16's avatar

hidalgon16

I think we can all agree that found footage style movies are typically viewed as the bottom of the barrel when it comes to horror films. However this, was created at a time when found footage could be viewed as an unique film technique rather than a cheap cop out to make some quick cash. This film is not good because it was the first, its considered great because it is the best of its kind.
That being said, this is a slow burn. It requires patience, and quite a bit of tolerance along side that. Hold little to no expectations before watching this film, do not view any trailers or highlight reels of the film before hand. Go in blind, and allow this film to take you along for the ride. This is not a gore fest, this is not a compelling character study, this is not a thriller, but this is a master of its craft in sustaining suspense. Watch this film alone, in the dark, late at night, because this is something that will keep you up thinking until the last wee hours before daylight.
Highly recommend, especially if you happen to be camping in the woods.
8/10
essaywhu's avatar

essaywhu

This film was huge when I was in high school. The movie and its ad campaign (passing the footage off as real) is probably the film that defines those years for me. It can definitely be a love it or hate it thing though. For me, it is truly frightening because the characters and the entire situation seem real and believable. Everybody is annoying in it, but they are acting just like I would if I was in the same situation. The ending is one of the most frightening in film history, but most of the film is all psychological. Don't expect to see special effects or anything like that. Everything is in the viewer's mind.
Pad's avatar

Pad

I want my 80 minutes back.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

A great horror movie, seens that you are in that woods, very scary
3.5/5
findinghappiness's avatar

findinghappiness

This movie isn't for everyone. Some love it (like me) and some hate it. To each his own. At least give it a try though.