artschoolsuicide's avatar

artschoolsuicide

Started off with an interesting enough premise, then morphed into a convoluted over-the-top mess.

Not a fan.
jipdeluxe's avatar

jipdeluxe

I committed suicide during this film... or didn't I??
sommar och sol's avatar

sommar och sol

Good movie
dajmasta94's avatar

dajmasta94

I avoided seeing this movie for a while. I've seen Donnie Darko countless times...I adore that film and had heard that Kelly was a one hit wonder. I heard nothing but bad things about this movie, which might be why I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I had only seen the trailer and that was years ago, I don't remember the trailers giving away any of the sci fi elements and so when the story took that time turn I was genuinely amused. It's not without flaws (Cameron Diaz) and it's not unlikely other things I've seen but did I think live up to the overwhelming hate it gets? Not even close. During the film she highest points I was incredibly engaged and unsure what I might see next and after I've seen it I wouldn't mid seeing it again to pick up some finer details. Underrated movie.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

This was bad!!!! What an illogical, badly scripted, boring mess of a movie. Major dissapointment!
Boei's avatar

Boei

Hahaha what a terrible movie!
The idea is cool, but it could not have been executed

Terrible acting and especially at the end it was taking hilarious proportions.
Jonathan_Hutchings's avatar

Jonathan_Hutchings

Anyone who thinks Richard Kelly isn't severely overrated, I give you Southland Tales, and this film.
Mackmannen's avatar

Mackmannen

Push the Button.
mcbobo's avatar

mcbobo

Great film!
Typical ''love it or hate it'' type of film
bitchypixels's avatar

bitchypixels

From the ridiculous plot to Cameron Diaz's in and out "southern" accent, this movie is just horrible.
EylemBasakEkinci's avatar

EylemBasakEkinci

Pushing a few of the right buttons and plenty of the wrong ones, “The Box” reps a dicey mainstream effort by enfant terrible Richard Kelly following the doomed exploits of 2006’s “Southland Tales.” Expanding a Richard Matheson story into a ’70s-set thriller in which a couple is besieged by space-age conspiracies, nose-…bleeding zombies and quotations from Jean-Paul Sartre, the pic reveals the hazards of taking “Twilight Zone” material too far and too seriously. Still, Kelly’s trademark mix of sci-fi, surrealism and suburbia occasionally entertains, while Cameron Diaz should carry the cult helmer into more commercial playpens. Warner Bros. release opens Oct. 29 in Australia and bows Nov. 6 Stateside.
daisyaday's avatar

daisyaday

Well, it didn't commit the worst sin, which is causing boredom, but it's far too murky with the philosophy/science mumbo-jumbo. Update: I just read the short-short story "The Button" on which this movie was based. It's worse than the movie. The reward is $50,000! It must have taken 10 minutes to write.Richard Matheson included it in the paperback "The Box" with 11 other short stories. I was robbed of $.50 at the library sale.
mook's avatar

mook

Morality mystery that unexpectedly becomes a completely different film. It's unpredictable and unusual - but not good. 4/10.

Follow me on Twitter @LastFilmSeen