the3rdman's avatar

the3rdman

Interesting enough concept, not sure about the execution. I thought the story could have been fleshed out a little more. I won't knock anybody who comes up with an original movie idea, but I think Aronofsky compensated for having a somewhat thin plot by being needlessly enigmatic.
davedg's avatar

davedg

This movie hit me right in the feels
Woliver's avatar

Woliver

I didn't dislike it, bit definetly doesn't deserves to be between the 100 greatest sci-fi movies.
arborealist's avatar

arborealist

I loved the concept behind the movie, but I thought that it completely failed in its execution. There were just too many pretentious, melodramatic moments that took away from the fantastic idea that was trying to be conveyed.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Looking at the rating on imdb and the comments, it seems like most enjoyed the film. I guess it just wasn't for me :/
TheBanana's avatar

TheBanana

This movie tries so hard to be a masterpiece. However, that is the reason why it fails. Still good, though.
kaaaaaro's avatar

kaaaaaro

In German we have a word for a movie like this, "plump" - the various translations for it in English paint the right picture: clumsy, ungainly, dumpy, heavy-handed. How could anyone have read the script and thought "this is daring and philosophical" - because it feels more like a seventh grader heard about religion for the first time while simultaneously reading Orlando.
In addition, it looks very cheap. Like someone tried to make a movie out of the music videos for R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion and Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box.
4 months ago
devilsadvocado's avatar

devilsadvocado

Glad this made it on to some lists. This is a film that deserves to be remembered.
Shaav's avatar

Shaav

such a great, intense movie. it makes me sad that so many people don't even feel anything when they see the movie. there's so much happening, there're so many details, for example the play with the light/darkness. when i saw the movie the first time i was younger, not so open minded, i just started to learn how to see things right, how to feel. i didn't understand it immediately, but felt that something? happened to me. this movie, what and the way it tells, everything, it changed me and gave me so much.
CoffinDancr's avatar

CoffinDancr

I really wanted to love this film, but found it very emotionally unengaging. I'll need to watch it again with no expectations getting in the way.
shaveen's avatar

shaveen

What a mess it was..
7 months 1 week ago
ChrisReynolds's avatar

ChrisReynolds

It's hugely ambitious, and Aronofsky is an accomplished visual stylist, but it's let down by a bad script that's full of clunky lines and has a strange structure where it redundantly repeats the same story in three time periods. Hence the big emotional moments didn't carry enough weight for me when they occurred and felt flat.
mathiasa's avatar

mathiasa

@silvifeuer: I didn't know you have to be director to dislike movies. Sarcasm intented.
Cassiodoro's avatar

Cassiodoro

What a mess...
dpanter's avatar

dpanter

This movie is 96 minutes too long. Fails to engage.
trueblue87's avatar

trueblue87

Fell in love with the movie. Music is beautiful to say the least. Adds another dimension to the whole movie. Surely I'm watching it again!