Ralf's avatar

Ralf

Feels more subtle and streamlined than the average contemporary YA sci-fi movie and starts off fairly well, but turns silly and unconvincing along the way. Jeff Bridges gives a solid performance and so does Meryl Streep, who unfortunately is very underused. All in all not a very good movie, but it has a few vivid moments of beauty.
jmarasco's avatar

jmarasco

Visually engaging, but probably works better on the page than on screen. A world intentionally stripped of emotion means almost every line of dialog is too, so that even the climax of the movie is just a half-whispered argument. Although no one does half-whispered arguments better than Meryl Streep.
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

After reading the book and imagining how a Hollywood version would turn out, I'm pleasantly surprised that this wasn't awful. Yes, the opening moves far too quickly, and yes, plot points are streamlined and other things invented to increase a visual and emotional connection, but overall The Giver is as faithful to the book as Hollywood was ever going to make it.

Is it good? Yes. Is it amazing? No. But fans will be reasonably pleased, and newcomers will be entertained.

3 stars out of 4
Malena's avatar

Malena

I found it very well interpreted on the screen. The difficult parts to understand in the book were very well explained in the movie. I found it good!
DerekFME's avatar

DerekFME

I agree with Frankqb. Basically. A decent if not amazing film.
maxdbn's avatar

maxdbn

The beginning is almost identical to "Divergent".
spireitedaz's avatar

spireitedaz

Similar to Logan's Run in some ways, also seems to have elements of Hunger Games & Divergent. Found it rather dull and uninteresting.
PolarCow's avatar

PolarCow

An ode to life and the world and everything good in it...

Visually stunning - I really liked this. Reminded me of The Truman Show meets 1984 meets Pleasantville. :)
xxNicollable's avatar

xxNicollable

I wasn't very moved with the story. Maybe because I didn't read the book, though. It all felt rather dull to me and nothing much happened. I am kind of disappointed, I definitely had expected more of it.
Agrimorfee's avatar

Agrimorfee

Never heard of this, randomly selected by my wife. Profoundly interesting. Jeff Bridges was fantastic, it took me awhile to recognize him.The use of black and white photography in the first quarter of the film is pretty smart. Not your average dystopian-teen-is-destined-to-change-things kinda movie.
NuclearPlanet's avatar

NuclearPlanet

The book tends to be vague at times so I was skeptical how they were going to do it, especially with ending it. I'm happy with how they did it, not the best thing ever - but definitely better then the recent young adult sci-fi adaptations that hollywood have been spewing out recently.