kurozuya's avatar

kurozuya

spoiler
dvdllr's avatar

dvdllr

This movie sucked hard. It took itself way too seriously, and ultimately had no joy to it. From me, not one smile, not one laugh; just grimacing as two beloved songs from the cartoon are butchered by two tired-sounding men who can't sing them.
somnomania's avatar

somnomania

I thought this was a lovely remake, I don't know why so many people left such negative reviews on this. The casting was beautiful, the CGI was gorgeous, and the two songs were well done and well-placed in the film. Contrary to what Tiego Costa says in his review here, A movie doesn't have to be declared a musical or not a musical. Would you consider Lord of the Rings a musical, just because there was some lyrical recitation in it? They took the two most popular songs from the Disney animation and revisited them here, to great effect. The action was good, the story played out nicely, and the casting for this was a damn sight better than the upcoming 2018 one with an almost entirely white cast. If you didn't like this one, just get on with your life, and stop trying to force your limited opinion onto other viewers.
chunkylefunga's avatar

chunkylefunga

Yet again another film that so called film critics are calling amazing that is in fact distinctly average.
Cox's avatar

Cox

Where are the vultures? :(
Rasheru's avatar

Rasheru

The CG is fabulous for sure (and the animals were super cute), but I do wonder if there's a point to it being so realistic except showing off they can make good-looking CG.

I didn't have many problems with the story spoiler but I think a fantasy story with a jungle setting and talking animals could go for a little more, well, fantasy in its visual design. The very serious and wanna-be-epic storytelling style is the same you've seen in those recent super-hero movies, but it also got jarring when they tried to add humor and, literally, music into the mix.

Not a bad movie per say. I wasn't ever particularly bored or annoyed while watching, but I also wasn't thrilled or invested at any point. A big meh, but with due respect to the CG artists who worked hard no doubt.
codedude's avatar

codedude

Don't understand all the love for this. The kid was plain annoying and there were several jarring moments in the film...including the vast amount of cliche phrases/actions throughout. Average at best.
The_Comatorium's avatar

The_Comatorium

Bill Murray slayed me. Grin from ear to ear.
Aniform's avatar

Aniform

I prefer the 1994 adaptation. That had intrigue and a great cast of actors. It was more in line with the Secret Garden style movies being put out in the early to mid 90's that were realistic for the most part. Not song and dance shows. It took what seemed like an hour for the first song to come into this, but once it did, I checked out. Not like I was enjoying this film up until then anyway. I barely found this interesting, I can't imagine how a kid would be able to sit through this. At least the 90's remakes of old films didn't rely on pleasing fans. Look at the 1994 Jungle Book, not one song, not one overt nod to the original. It was just trying to be its own thing. The voyage through India was cool and the adventure was on par with an Indiana Jones movie. Whatever this was, it sure fell flat.
Jay AK's avatar

Jay AK

I loved it. Well I still love the old cartoon version, but this one is pretty cool. I really like Baloo, he's still chubby and funny as the animated Baloo

Disney's new live action Jungle Book is as charming as it is beautiful, with some of the most convincing talking animals I've ever seen this side of the new Planet of the Apes movies. Sher Khan and Baloo (played by an obviously ad libbing Bill Murray) are triumphs. The kid is perfect. The effects incredible. Stay to the very end for the Locations credits for more amazement, and in any case, the end credits are among some of the most fun I've seen in a great while. Now here's my one complaint: There's one unmotivated musical number in this I found jarring. I get Disney wanting to trade on the best songs from their animated classic, but they should have restrained themselves. Characters can't break spontaneously into song exactly once in a film unless it's a very specific kind of film. Oh, and the movie doesn't end where the animated one did, which I think may be to leave it open to sequels. I wouldn't be adverse to that. Maybe something with more Kaa in it?
MarkE89's avatar

MarkE89

The film adds nothing new to the Disney repertoire of re-releasing worn out material other than the final step back into full blown animation. Suitably, this is following the sequential rise of their Marvel franchise, similarly propelled by Favreau (of Jumanji-remake fame), going the same direction by tricking audiences into watching "live action". Calling this movie a "live action" is as absurd as calling Ted (2012) an animation as they, proportionally, feature the same amount of the other. And as the name of the Mowgli actor was hardly featured in the trailer, only his bad acting convinces me of his humanity. No doubt Disney will be pleased once their giant content machinery can realistically generate "emotion", so they can do completely without "contracts", "acting" and "humans as non-consumers".

So yes, obviously the animals look incredible and the scenery is glorious. But this awe also stops with the technological achievement and leaves one indifferent. Compare your experience of this film with the sense of absolute wonder associated with watching any of Attenborough's nature series, and you'll know what I mean.

Furthermore, discontent with only re-remaking, Favreau cannibalizes several memorable Disney moments throughout. Images from The Lion King (1994) are down-right lifted, lending the sense that perhaps The Jungle Book wasn't even his first choice.

Story-wise, it's fun to note how Shere Khan was right all along in assuming Mowgli would destroy everything. When the brat finally torches the entire fucking jungle, homes, dinners and friends..? Everyone is on his side.
It's a strange stance to take considering they all gave up on him when a tiger wanted to --- eat him and leave everyone else alone? If only the tiger had mastered some jungle charm, I bet he would have convinced them otherwise. That's just bad writing, Kipling.

4/10 - Watch the first part of the scene with Christopher Walken playing King Kong Louie as himself imitating Brando in Apocalypse Now. Gold.
fraukamera's avatar

fraukamera

it's modern, yet feels nostalgic. it's fun, yet keeps you at the edge of your seat. of all the recent disney live-action updates, this is by far the most successful. i loved every second.
mysteryfan's avatar

mysteryfan

Look at this "dvdllr" user, saying the songs were not good. ROFL. These kind of people try to find meaning in crappy experimental movies with no plot, but dont realize the singing here was meant to be casual and just an homage.

I wonder why these people are so bitter about this movie. LOL.
2 months 2 weeks ago