nowhereman136's avatar

nowhereman136

I wouldve loved this movie if i hadnt already seen the original. It is almost shot for shot, line for line, the same as the original. Next to nothing new was added. Again, by itself its a damn good movie. But the entire time i just kept thinking "why was this movie even made? why not just watch the superior original over again?"
1 month ago
tiedyedvortex's avatar

tiedyedvortex

They sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" at what looked like 3 in the afternoon. Broad daylight. That shows the level of care and attention they put into making this movie.
1 month ago
buc86's avatar

buc86

I almost don't mind the fact this is almost a shot for shot remake, because I love the original. Any excuse to re-watch The Lion King is fine by me!

Then the animals started talking, and there was no emotion to them at all. Zazu is basically just like watching a real bird with John Oliver's voice over the top.

Looks amazing and the cast was great though.
1 month ago
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

I'm not really sure how to be unbiased in watching something like this because I grew up with the original and no matter how hard I try to distance myself I'm still comparing the two. Meh...

First off, it is pretty much the exact movie you have come to know and love, but you had to know that before you even watched it, right? The CGI was pretty breathtaking, for me it was the only positive for the movie. There where many times when I had to forcefully remind myself that the lions weren't real, it is simply that good. That being said, CGI alone is never enough to carry an entire movie.

It's 30 minutes longer than the original, and I think you really feel it at some points because the new material just doesn't do enough to advance the plot or give us something groundbreaking. The songs, which were such a joy in the original, seem totally out of focus here. Instead of being an amazing, nostalgic trip down memory lane, it felt almost like a weird parody. I saw it in a theater with a bunch of kids, and they weren't even singing along at all. There just seemed to be no emotion behind the performance.

Interestingly, if you had never seen the original and gone in completely fresh, I'm not sure you'd have thought it to be even a decent movie. It relies heavily on the presumption that you have a history with the source material and is really just going through the motions. I'm not saying they should have gone for PG-13 rather than PG, but this was the chance to really bring our childhood to vivid life. This was the opportunity to make a wildebeast stampede something potentially more terrifying than in the original cartoon, to really feel the thunder of the hooves and backed by a musical score that would ring out like a klaxon in your head. I must say the opportunity felt wasted.

I'll give it a C- with the CGI being the highlight, but that appears to be it.
4 weeks 1 day ago
Videl's avatar

Videl

It's just Hamlet with Lions. And the animated versions have more expression. It looked stunning, but it lacked the emotion of the original.
1 month ago
Captain Awesome's avatar

Captain Awesome

One of the most disappointing films I've seen in a long time.

As an avid fan of the original, I was more than happy to see a shot-for-shot, line-for-line remake with the updated visuals, but this is not even close to that. The script sounds like it was written by someone who watched the 1994 film a lot in childhood, and tried to just recreate it from memory having not watched or thought about it for a few years. This in itself might not have ruined things, but it appears as though the entire budget was spent on the pretty CGI and Disney just held a contest at a local high school to cast the screenwriter. It is embarrassingly bad, to the point where you could probably tell which Mufasa lines were new from hearing James Earl Jones's awkward delivery of them, compared to those he spoke in the original.

Changing Scar's relationship with the hyenas, almost entirely cutting "Be Prepared", and casting based on star power rather than ability (see Beyonce, John Oliver and Billy Eichner) were just some of the baffling decisions made here.
2 days 21 hours ago
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

I don't have a lot to say about the movie as a whole but I'm perplexed with the slight change to the "message" of the story. The original Lion King, by my memory, was about owning up to your personal responsibilities; this version takes a more modern approach and gears the themes towards the idea of activism vs. apathy. Simba's problem here isn't just helping the people he loves when he needs them, and facing fear and adversity to do so; in this version, he's also doing some sort of larger moral right by owning up to societal responsibility. Very 2019, right? Regardless of my beliefs, I don't have a problem with that message, as an idea, but I do take issue with it as it's executed herein. There's a scene in this movie, that I don't remember being in the original, in which spoiler. It's supposed to be a funny scene that makes a point about the pitfall of those supposed virtues, but when viewed in reference to the entire movie and applied to the real world, it doesn't make any sense to me. What about all that... y'know, killing? Doesn't that also affect others? Do the lions not live a fairly self-centered version of the circle of life? "Oh, we kill them, but when we die of natural causes and decompose they eat the grass." That idea makes sense in the original movie, but when you try to modernize it in a way that hearkens to climate change and such it falls apart. It feels like a well-intended but shallow and poorly-thought-out re-write.

Honestly, though, it's a minor issue. I just hadn't heard anyone talk about it. I also had that issue with connection to the characters emotionally, and a few of the shots that are carried over from the cartoon just don't work (the zoom out on Simba in the stampede scene, for one). The improv from the comedians wasn't for me. It does look incredible, and makes me wonder where visual effects end and animation begins, especially in regards to awards. Couldn't this technically go up for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars? Will it? In the words of Marge Simpson, "I guess we'll just have to wait and see."
3 days 4 hours ago
HEMA's avatar

HEMA

Amazing visuals. I had no problem with the emotions being more flat.

The new cast did a great job in their own right, but for me largely fell short of the original, especially Scar, Timon and Pumba.

The biggest failure though is the butchering of one of the greatest Disney songs ever, be prepared.
1 week ago
Pauljt1980's avatar

Pauljt1980

Is it just me that’s really disappointed with these live action Disney remakes? All I’ll say is Lion King is the best of a bad bunch. Note to Disney, we prefer the animated versions! Leave them alone now!!!
1 week 3 days ago
CodeV's avatar

CodeV

Perfect remake, a new masterpiece is born. I'm most impressed by the animation quality. Meerkat Timon was best, at least in Estonian audio as Valter Soosalu.
Hakuna matata!