Camille Deadpan's avatar

Camille Deadpan

Well if I was 16 when I watched the movie the first time it would probably blow my mind. I've watched the movie for the first time just now and I'm not 16. The movie's nice but to me it doesn't feel special.
What is special and charismatic is Miller's performance.
devilsadvocado's avatar

devilsadvocado

It's fine to make a film depicting the naivete and narcissism of youth, but to take it as seriously as TPOBAW did is downright nauseating.

I think I would have fallen for the giddy quixotism of this film -- with all its forced cleverness and callow spirit of adventure -- had I seen it 10 years ago, when I was living up in my own little high school cloud in the sky. But as an almost-30-year-old, I was put off by the artificialness of the characters and the fanciful world they were determined to create around them.

Characters and setting aside, I did find the story to be a moving one especially after everything culminates in the end. I just wish it could have been told more authentically with characters truer to how life in high school really is.
rociwi's avatar

rociwi

How can be Heroes so hard to find?
Liv Ullmann's avatar

Liv Ullmann

Am I the only one who thinks this is an overrated movie?
Malteser's avatar

Malteser

I don't know why but I cried in this movie!
GalsGotMoxie's avatar

GalsGotMoxie

Oh god does this ever hit the nostalgia notes -- both good and bad. Such a lovely film.
TanteGazeuse's avatar

TanteGazeuse

I thought this a good teenage/coming-of-age movie, to be enjoyed by highschoolers themselves as well as by older generations. When young Charlie is introduced on his first day of high school, one feels for him, and that is true for much of the story; when he goes through several phases of the teenage emotional rollercoaster, which is for him often much bumpier.

However, the real stand-outs are , to me, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller. Both actors prove that they are part of a new generation who can handle different kinds of characters. Here we don't see a Hermione rip-off, nor an evil Kevin (Miller in We Need To Talk about Kevin) but an emotionally vulnerable yet excited music adept and an all-out, extraverted gay guy, both gifted with a lot of sense of humour and fun. When Charlie is with the two of them, the best things in the movie happen.

The story is strongly indebted to its era, the early nineties with all its pop music and culture (mixtapes, the big cars, real books for that matter!) in a way that reminded me of Donnie Darko (with its eighties soundtrack). It contains dark spots, but luckily, often enough painted with a light brush and that is what makes it enjoyable.
Jaqo's avatar

Jaqo

When you see a film that hits you on so many levels, there are hardly any other films in the universe you can relate to more than this. #ThatFeeling!!

The Perks is about being different. Being the one who not in a good way stands out in a crowd. Being the one who has not the same interests as everyone else. Being the one who behaves a little bit different than what is expected to be "normal". And not giving one single ounce of crap about it!
This is the film for all of us outsiders out there. We, who dared to speak our own mind, regardless of what other people said about it. Thank you, Stephen Chbosky, for writing this story. It made us realize we are not alone out there!
dreiser's avatar

dreiser

How is it possible these kids never heard of David Bowie?!

WTF
Beremat's avatar

Beremat

I'm with Osahi on this one. Personally, I thought the characters were incredibly hard to believe, mostly (but not entirely) due to the acting.
ermi's avatar

ermi

Apart from boring me to death, what made me hate this movie this much, is the caricaturistic portrayal of a disturbed so-called "introvert". FYI, for a real introverted outcast, who doesn't dare to utter "Charles Dickens" in class, with a history of being molested and feeling such intense remorse, there's no chance in hell he would get naked like that in front of such crowd and do those rocky-horror-picture-show atrocities, attract that many attractive girls and "cool" boys and not get beaten his living crap out after punching those 3 muscular guys. It's simply not the case. At least not so fast that's depicted in the movie.

Come on dear "expert" IMDB voters (i.e, high schoolers who dig teen movies). You really believe this is one of the best 250 movies EVER MADE?
nymusix's avatar

nymusix

Good, but not great movie. Emma Watson's attempts at an American accent took me out of the movie, but for the most part this was a very effective film that really hit a great wistful tone. Don't know that I'd watch this a second time, but it's certainly not a film I regret watching.
gabijiang's avatar

gabijiang

'Why do nice people choose the wrong ppl to date?'...
'We accept the love we think we deserve'...
'Can we make them know they deserve more?'...
'We can try'...
munise.avi's avatar

munise.avi

Her?
Paravail's avatar

Paravail

It's like a movie from 1996 that somehow got released in 2012.
7 months ago