KloVero's avatar

KloVero

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the beautiful metaphore with children that occured throughout the whole movie. To me, it was the most interesting aspect of the film; how the protagonists looked at those kids and all the nostalgia and regrets that came with it. That, and the editing, what wonderful job! I agree that the themes have been better carried by ''Unforgiven'', but we mustn't forget that ''The Whild Bunch'' was made 23 years earlier.

quote:
We all dream of being a child again, even the worst of us. Perhaps the worst most of all.
Unit 731's avatar

Unit 731

Best western ever made. Hands down. I think that Sergio Leone westerns are good fun and they are my personal favorites, but I think TWB has much more to offer and say.

A lot of you sorry folk like to break it down to just gunfights when it offers so much more. Sure the movie starts and ends with probably few of the biggest bloodbaths on screen, but the middle acts are also important. The incredible ending wouldn't have that impact if we didn't see how the western mythology deteriorates around these men whose time is long gone by.

The themes and characters are just so plain Peckinpah and I love every second of it. I also love the acting throughout the movie, but I have to admit Warren Oates' character is my favorite. IMO he was one of the greatest character-actors there ever was.
There is that great feeling watching a Peckinpah film, when he invites you into his bleak and cynical world ran by twisted men.

quote:
If they move, kill 'em
dchauvin's avatar

dchauvin

Unlike others, I came into the movie with little expectations and was quite pleasantly surprised, although it was a little boring and disjointed at times. The brutal end scene was really something.
computer's avatar

computer

not boring!
prasanth's avatar

prasanth

Its a phenominal movie with beautiful cinematography and bloody action scenes. Loved every minute of it , except for the last fight which was a bit overdone IMO.
coffeejazzlofi's avatar

coffeejazzlofi

spoiler
lachyas's avatar

lachyas

A strong start and a stronger finish, but the two hours in between leaves much to be desired, with atrocious pacing, a complete lack of memorable characters, poor attempts at humour, and a meandering, aimless narrative. Like the vast majority of westerns that have reached the status of 'classic' I really struggle to see why this is so revered. Maybe the genre just isn't for me.
Rdgz_Dust_Speck's avatar

Rdgz_Dust_Speck

It's not that awful, as everybody says. It's a little overrated, but it's a good western, after all. It's interesting the way Peckinpah sees Mexico, he had a very romantic view from this country.
RoastMutton10's avatar

RoastMutton10

That ending fight scene....whoaaaaaaa. I ain't never seen so many people shot in the shoulder before.
Rohit's avatar

Rohit

nice editing there!
Flops's avatar

Flops

It has its flaws, but let's be honest when we watch a western we want to see gun fights. We want blood. This film fully delivers in those regards.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

It's a shame because if it wasn't for some major flaws it would be a prime contender for the best western ever. The pacing is a bit odd, and the character development is mostly superficial at best. The action is top notch. It tries to be funny at some points but if you as a viewer are sitting there asking "Am I supposed to be laughing at this?" Then the movie is doing it wrong. It does feature some off the wall flashback sequences and slo-mo that would be right at home in an amateur high school movie project. Like I said, clean up the sore points and add some better character development with better pacing and it would be the bee's knees.
Zeltaebar's avatar

Zeltaebar

I agree with everyone that thinks this is overrated. I love westerns and some are among my personal favourites. This one is not. It is, as some commentators point out, uneven and at times boring. The bank robbery in the beginning, the train heist in the middle and the last shoot-out are good stuff but because the stuff in between are dull, I eventually got bored. One of the key problems in my opinion is the lack of iconic, tough characters in the main roles that could have carried the movie. Peckinpah opted for strong actors (several has Academy Awards to their names) rather than the charisma and spectacle of Western legends such as John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Lee van Cleef. The guys in the movie seem to be a bit chubby, uncomfortable and tired. Now, I get that that is part of the point..... Their era being over, age catching up and doom closing in and so forth, but for examples on how to pull that off, check out Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven (or a modern movie such as Gran Torino). William Holden and Ernest Borgnin just seem.... out of place.
abemad's avatar

abemad

This movie works on so many levels. Great.
radoslav1948's avatar

radoslav1948

The ending scene saved the movie for me. Despite that a decent performance of the great Bill Holden.