SkilledLunatic's avatar

SkilledLunatic

quote:
Railroad Yard Watchman: Yes, sir. I've been with the railroad thirty years and never a blot against my record.

Robert Graham: Well, the yard cop seems to think you made a deal not to see that car broken into.

Railroad Yard Watchman: Pfah! What kind of sense does that make? Is sugar a rare cargo? Is there a black market for it? Did you ever hear of a fence for hot sugar? If I was gonna make a deal with crooks to steal somethin', it wouldn't be for forty tons of sugar.
Hahaha the deliverance of these lines cracked me up.

Them! is a very solid 50's Sci-fi flick, well worth the watch.
AFGiant's avatar

AFGiant

This movie was legit.
ashegrins's avatar

ashegrins

Legit is the word indeed! Great movie!
Maraku11's avatar

Maraku11

I was rather surprised at how good this movie actually was. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone interested.
yayabean's avatar

yayabean

THEEEEM!

I've seen a number of giant bug/animal movies from the 50s (and beyond) and most require the Mystery Science Theater 3000 to get through. Not so with Them!, which is surely the high water mark in the subgenre. Ants. It's giant ants. As cornball as can be. But by playing it as a straight procedural, it feels more like Quatermass, or a serious kaiju movie, though the bugs don't grow to the poster's impossible sizes. The original Godzilla, in fact, was procedural in how humans dealt with the monster, but the science was nowhere near as well grounded as it is here. The approach necessarily means there's nothing in terms of character arc, but it doesn't mean there's no personality. The characters are types, yes, but colorful, well-defined ones. This early in the atomic age monster movie game, the archetypal caricatures give Them! an iconic bent. And in terms of effects, it looks pretty good too!
americanadian25's avatar

americanadian25

Holds up phenomenally well, far better than you would think for a movie about giant bugs.
gardaud's avatar

gardaud

Quite good, especially considering how well it held the test of time. Great narrative, and a plot that's not over the top.
-1flb2-'s avatar

-1flb2-

Classic 50's sci-fi movie. Them! didn't get any of them awards they give out.
Camille Deadpan's avatar

Camille Deadpan

I find the spider in "Tarantula" to be more convincing than ants in "Them!" I give the spider 8 stars and to ants I give 5 stars.