Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi's avatar

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Really brought back the worst of the 80s for me on several levels. Did every single scene need to be shot like a hyper-cheesy 80s music video?
contrafugal's avatar

contrafugal

Would you say we're in a...zone of danger?
jaana's avatar

jaana

How homoerotic was this film though I mean honestly. For some reason all the hype made me expect more than a bunch of guys hanging out in towels. I highly recommend watching this movie while playing a game of mustache. Made it so much better.
akuma587's avatar

akuma587

One of the most homoerotic films I have ever seen. The shirtless beach volleyball scene with the Kenny Loggins song "Playing with the Boys" takes the cake.
sixteenmiles's avatar

sixteenmiles

The most redeeming quality of this film was some of the dumbest dialogue I ever heard making it seem like a Naked Gun film.

Guy walks into a room, stares directly into the open eyes of another character who is clearly awake and says "Are you awake?"

Guy says "Get out of here." to a guy who is clearly already leaving the room.

Girl says "I'll be right here if you need me." Then immediately drives off down the road.

Guy says "On the count of three.... THREE!" Where is the rest of the countdown?

The whole film is like this. Really dumb.
lachyas's avatar

lachyas

Probably the most homoerotic movie ever made. And that includes Behind The Candelabra.
Petrux's avatar

Petrux

More propagandistic than nowadays asian propagandistic movies.
Alfredo Garcia's avatar

Alfredo Garcia

One of the worst film experiences in my life. I watched it because it's really famous and, what the hell, Top Gun is in four lists, but i absolutely regret it. I still cannot believe how stupid and boring this film was. Maybe if you watch it with some friends it may be funny. Straight to dislikes.
Joris B.'s avatar

Joris B.

Wasn't that bad, there were some pretty good lines and Goose was awesome.
BLJNBrouwer's avatar

BLJNBrouwer

"Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full"
4 months ago
fakirfikir's avatar

fakirfikir

Pure american propaganda.
5 months ago
TheodorIDontKnow's avatar

TheodorIDontKnow

Was this movie tailor made for spoiled douchebag sons of Reagan voters... and closeted queer men in the 80s?

Sorry for all the scorn, but I still haven't recovered from how cheesy and jerky this movie is. Top Gun is thinly written with lots of dumb dialogue.

I am also biased against every film that glorifies military forces. One of the movie's producers confirmed that this was basically an almost two hour long commercial for the Navy.

Enjoyed the eyecandiness of almost every male actor though... which was helped by all the sweat and locker room humidity.
8 months 2 weeks ago

I think we're a little beyond calling out Top Gun's accidental-ish homoeroticism, but it should be noted that I (re)watched this (for the first time since the 80s) with a group of people, some of whom had never seen it, and without prompting, that was their immediate assessment. Thankfully, the LGBTQ+ community has its own narratives now and doesn't have to depend on homosocial environment narratives to find their due. Especially if that's going to be Top Gun, a massive hit in its day, but really kind of ordinary from today's perspective. Great stars, Tony Scott's glistening visuals are strong, and the use of real planes in action in the photography was exciting, especially on the silver screen. It's a bit like Jurassic Park - once you shrink the spectacle down to your TV screen, even if TV screens are much bigger than they used to be, your less immersed brain can better analyze the story and see its faults. Top Gun is really a string of romcom, sports and my buddy died clich├ęs, with dogfighting interludes that are not all that exciting I think because they're mostly abstract training exercises. When Maverick called on the ghost of Obi-Wan to help take a shot, I laughed.
10 months ago
On cinema at the cinema's avatar

On cinema at the cinema

I enjoyed it the movie. Wish it had been a bit longer. I do find it awesome that the director used every bit of Navy footage he took for the movie.
vivienblue_06's avatar

vivienblue_06

Tom Cruise is indeed a mouth watering in this one. The film has its highlights but its not good enough for me.