It is perhaps astounding that Trainspotting, a film dripping in Scottish argot, based on an Irvine Welsh novel (not an obvious adaptation), about heroin addicts, would become a hit, but there it is. It isn't just a tent pole of 90s pop culture, but made stars out of Ewan McGregor, Kelly Macdonald, and director Danny Boyle, whose fearless visual style managed to capture Welsh's metaphors while still allowing the raw truth of addiction to be depicted. McGregor rummaging around the Worst Toilet in Scotland cannot be deleted from memory. A large part of the appeal is the soundtrack, which is perhaps better remembered than the film itself (something it shares with Garden State, I think), but that's definitely not the only thing going for it. Though all the characters are screw-ups of the highest order, all but Begbie (let's call him the villain) are sympathetic, and we're well happy to spend a couple of hours listening to McGregor's rendition of Welsh's acid narration as their comedies and tragedies play out.

Some might find it offensive in parts, but there's real humor and a fun visual sense throughout. Ewan McGregor's breakout film.
thechristophershow's avatar

thechristophershow

Meh. Kinda boring. Too comical, but in an unfunny way. Not that it's meant to be a comedy (or maybe it is, I don't know), but it just seemed too sterile for a heroin movie, too nonchalant. Maybe I did myself a disservice by watching this two nights after watching "Requiem for a Dream" for the first time. I was hoping for something moving and disturbing like "Requiem," but they're two totally different genres. "Requiem" was a drama, this was like a slice-of-life dramedy.
halcain's avatar

halcain

Hard to watch if you have a weak stomach
nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

spot on

Cadeicus's avatar

Cadeicus

Not a film to watch whilst eating you dinner. I learnt the hard way.
Pxicosis's avatar

Pxicosis

BASTARRRRRRDDDDDDD!!!!
fakirfikir's avatar

fakirfikir

One of the best movie I've ever seen in my life !
Must watch !
NourNasreldin's avatar

NourNasreldin

Watching this particular film can be immensely shocking during the first encounter. You watch all those mortifying scenes and you try to shut your eyes at certain points but then, then you take it all in and start to make sense of it. The brilliance of the film in my own opinion is in
its cinematography and highly entertaining content. The photography along with the lighting is captivating like in scenes where the main character almost dies from drug use and so the scene is kind of shot from a person in a grave perspective, now that was pure brilliance. My expectations about films that deal with drugs and drug abusers are usually that they would be slow paced, boring and dull but, surprisingly, Trainspotting is far from being even a bit boring. I was enjoying every bit of it until the very end.

The thing about Trainspotting is that it’s not taking sides; it doesn’t address drug abuse directly as a good or a bad thing, instead it shows you what it would be like to choose living over becoming an addict. It just deals with the characters’ different stories of struggle. Those who decide to quit and those who decide to suddenly start. The film has many psychedelic flashes yet the story and the idea are simple and not at all hard to comprehend. I also have to comment on the excellence of the performance delivered by Ewan McGregor. I say this film is for everyone to watch, and then they decide to look at it the way they want to because there is simply no idea being forced here.

Trainspotting is a disturbing film, that’s a fact but, it is also one that you cannot be reckless enough not to watch. So, if you decide to watch Trainspotting, prepare to get hit hard (really hard) but also, prepare to be amazed.
woksin's avatar

woksin

Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream should be standard school movies to promote anti-drug
DonCorleone1208's avatar

DonCorleone1208

God this movie scared me. Would work great as an after school special on why one should never use heroin
Worzel's avatar

Worzel

Rewatched after many years. Just as good if not better than I remembered. I forgot that, as well as being toe-curlingly grim, it's also very funny at times.
thaisquisito's avatar

thaisquisito

quote:
I'm gonna be just like you. The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption, clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die.
Cimeries's avatar

Cimeries

Need to read the book. This really impressed me, I can't believe I've only just seen it. This is an easy new favourite - not the best film I've ever seen, but up there with Requiem for a Dream.
elizabethyates's avatar

elizabethyates

A film is only good if it makes you uncomfortable at times. And this film made me uncomfortable at times.

Great acting and a great soundtrack. I loved the camera angles and the portrayal of drug addiction. Very unique and very eye-catching.

9/10