-1flb2-'s avatar

-1flb2-

Excellent movie. When I watch a movie where I don't know what is real or not, I know the director has taken me to a new experience. Great cinematography. We all have our shadow or dark side.
Groovy09's avatar

Groovy09

Like a gothic nightmare. Wonderful and haunting, but not for everyone.
Persona14's avatar

Persona14

Easily one of his best.
deadendjob's avatar

deadendjob

Bergman's foray into true bone chilling horror is exactly that -- BONE CHILLING! Not scary in the traditional sense, but an eerie layer of subversive chills lie beneath the calm exterior of this insanity-driven masterpiece. 8/10
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

Though part of me wishes, per my personal taste, that Bergman would exercise a little more feeling and a little less thinking in his films (the "told my main character after the events have transpired" structure just doesn't work for me), In the last seconds of the film it got me. All of the many interpretations of what the events of the film are and what they represent don't really interest me that much until you put them through the lens of a character (I'm very much interested in the feeling behind the thinking, in stories and in life). Liv Ullmann is, I think, the heart of the film, because everything that happens is projected through her lens; her own perception of her troubled artist husband. The lack of clarity in the film's dreamlike events and flashbacks all come back to that character and her own lack of understanding.

The composition is all very Bergman; characters framed by other characters and so on. It just so happens that I really enjoy the way Bergman shoots a movie, so it's not a complaint. It's somewhat misleading to call this movie a "horror movie," because it barely qualifies as one. It's creepy and unnerving, and there are some intense and somewhat-gory scenes, but it doesn't "scare" as much as it disturbs, much like some of his other films (Persona comes to mind).

Max von Sydow doesn't get a chance to do much until the second and final castle scene, but he's so good in that scene. It's not a big, show-stopping performance (I mean, it's Bergman), but his subtle display of emotion is all the more impactful given how distant he is for the majority of the film. Liv Ullmann consistently impresses me, but I do think she overdoes her quasi-narator monologues. I don't know if I'm to blame it on her or Bergman, but it felt too overplayed, like a theatre performance. It's in those scenes when Bergman plays his hand too strongly. As an audience member, I like it when a filmmaker wraps me around their finger, and when you over-explain I don't feel entranced. However, that's me. I've encountered a lot of people to think and feel differently about film, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I still liked Hour of the Wolf a lot, and I can appreciate Ingmar Bergman's strengths even if his weaknesses keep me from truly loving his work.

Ingmar Bergman's only horror film is Hour of the Wolf, and it's - no surprise - an ambiguous one. Is the artist haunted by horrific visions he feels compelled to paint actually under threat from demons? Or is he at crossroads in his work and life where his personal demons are keeping him awake? Is his wife sharing in the hallucination, or is she proof it is really happening? And so are the vampiric people in the castle merely creepy eccentrics, or are they tempting and humiliating shadows, or all in his/their mind? Can we even trust the artist's diary, and its shocking violence? Or does he talk about his feelings in images, as an artist might and none of it is to be taken at face value? This creates a rich, atmospheric piece which is really about the artist (whose work is never shown because it could never equal what is said of it, good choice) choosing between his art-fueling angst and real life, as represented by his very practical wife. And yet, she's in many ways the main character, playing detective as to what is happening to her husband and feeling him slip away, desperate to understand him, to know a certain osmosis with him. Bergman so often dramatizes one's existentialist inability to truly know the other, so it's difficult to think of her as sharing an illusion with her husband, and so the monsters must be real... Levels and levels and levels...
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

6/10
I like the absurd, incongruent, surrealistic and mysterious in the film that treats Bergman's own dreams and nightmares, but it never elevates to higher grades. Several things remain unanswered.
lucabott's avatar

lucabott

A piece of art.
baraka92's avatar

baraka92

Bergman’s 8 1/2
thestuman101694's avatar

thestuman101694

No ingenuous criticism needed here. This film is Bergman. That's enough for anyone's appreciation.
Shazaaaam's avatar

Shazaaaam

Surprised to see this one on the top lists. Some striking imagery, but I had trouble pulling out anything of substance. (Or entertainment.)
JoeMorrissy's avatar

JoeMorrissy

The visuals were nice and the acting was top notch. Other than that I personally didn't really understand or see the point in this film. A cluster fuck of oddness and confusion that doesn't really grant you any entertainment.
nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

bergman's demons visualized!

krisMovie's avatar

krisMovie

JoeMorrissy: +1
MrCarmady's avatar

MrCarmady

fucking awful apart from a few funny scenes and some nice visuals