Cimeries's avatar

Cimeries

Really enjoyed the first and last segment and there were cool ideas in pretty much all of the segments. Only thing that let it down was some dodgy acting in the part set in the woods and by the lake and the overarching story of the people inside the house - just didn't do anything for me.

Overall though one of the creepiest horrors I've seen in a while. Definitely gets under your skin with some of the ideas.
Public Enemy's avatar

Public Enemy

This was a let down since everyone was saying how amazing it was.

Let me carry my laptop so my boyfriend can see what's making the noise in my apartment. A weapon? Sure, I'll get this pair of scissors. A flashlight (because I can't flip the light switch for some reason)? No, but I'll use this camera and use the flash for light. I'll just hold this with my third hand.

I'll also cut a giant hole into my arm and am shoving things into it. Then someone will tell me to put a band aid over it because that's clearly what medical attention a would like that would need.
Larkspire's avatar

Larkspire

Some of it's more YouTube than pay-to-see fare, but all in all this is pretty decent, and one of the least annoying found-footage films I've seen. That's not to say that the protagonists don't piss me off as much of those in Cloverfield and Blair Witch - there's just much less of a wait before they get what's coming. V/H/S may not be amazing, but it's great late-night fare, and a decent horror flick (if Texas Chainsaw Massacre doesn't do it for you, you want more than gore, and you wanted to like Paranormal Activity, you just wish it was, you know, something close to bearable).

Amateur Party (with spoiler) was, by far, the best segment; shame they made it the first tape watched.
greenhorg's avatar

greenhorg

Is it weird that this came out about the same time as Wreck-It Ralph, and both movies featured a so-called "glitch" as a character?

I suppose it's an idea whose time has come.
sammysin's avatar

sammysin

Bloody great late night viewing.
bitchypixels's avatar

bitchypixels

I have sworn off found footage films, but this movie was very entertaining, and still managed to poke fun at the genre. Some segments were better than others but it was a good watch.
TheBosma's avatar

TheBosma

I'm not a fan of found footage stuff generally, but I really rather liked this one. An enjoyable watch for me.
God's avatar

God

i want to punch everyone involved in this movie
Woliver's avatar

Woliver

I fell, that maybe the problem with this movie is that all directors concentrated too much in their own segments and in how they would lead one to the other, but even though they do this well, i feel that all together fails as a whole unique movie, specially when every segment take their time to explain why are they recording, who are recording, and a bunch of irrelevant things that only turns the pace in a real pain.

And come on, you record all your Skype conversations, then you transfer it all from digital to VHS? fuck off.
samoan's avatar

samoan

I Like You
1 year ago
Namfoodle's avatar

Namfoodle

This is so annoying to watch, even if it has some creepy moments, hated it.
Shaunage's avatar

Shaunage

I think the last segment is the only one that works at all. It's an interesting attempt.
Oneironaut's avatar

Oneironaut

One of the stronger found footage movies of recent years, but some of the segments really hold it back.
ThomasFTB's avatar

ThomasFTB

Some of the segments are pretty weak, including the last one, which has some terrible cgi.

One or two creative ones, and even one that's actually scary at times.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

Granted I don't watch too many horror movies but the 2nd half of this one kind of fell flat to me. As other commenters have mentioned the first "story" was certainly the scariest and well put together. I suppose it's a decent entry into the found footage horror genre.