greenhorg's avatar

greenhorg

Does this movie signal a trend in soulful, meditative interpretations of children's stories:

Terrence Malick's Green Eggs and Ham.
Christian Powell's avatar

Christian Powell

A lot of people try and say it's not geared towards kids like the book was. The problem is most people haven't read the book since they were kids. The book was just as "scary", and "depressing." If you even watch the bonus features with Maurice Sendak he talks about how the book was very controversial when it first came out. It also doesn't veer that far from the book. People seemed to get mad that he ran away from home in the movie instead of his room transforming. He imagines himself running away though. If you pay attention in the begging you can see him playing with a toy boat. Like the one he sails over there in. You also see the wild things houses made out of pine straw on his dresser. You also see some of the wild things as clay figures on his dresser. He was in his room the whole time. That's why the mom didn't go searching for him or anything. A lot of people are so quick to judge when they just weren't paying attention.
wederbrand's avatar

wederbrand

I had really high expectations, having read the book a hundred times and loved it.

But it was boring. And slow.
The only good thing was the costumes, pretty amazing.
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

This movie felt like a black-hole of entertainment, all enjoyment and interest was sucked toward the screen and held captive for what felt like an interminable running time. Highly disappointed, but, in retrospect, not surprised. It's a short book, I was just hoping they'd fill out the running time with something worth saying.
pixieblood's avatar

pixieblood

Spike Jonze definitely has a way with storytelling, this film is just the sweetest as a big fan of the book as a child, this is a lovely film version. I think now I wanna be a Wild Thing or I'll be happy with the wolf costume
jamesmcavoy's avatar

jamesmcavoy

Well, this was boring... I thought I was gonna like it, and at the start it was cool, but it just got really dreary on the island. I just really wanted it to end from there on. The kid was great though, and that says a lot since I usually hate child actors. But why did the "wild things" have to be so terrifying?!?
inthecinemas's avatar

inthecinemas

Overrated.
FionaBrown's avatar

FionaBrown

This is an excellent film that has very little to do with it's excellent book. It's not a movie for children in the least. This was one of my favorite stories as a child. It matched up with the time in my life and what I was going thru. Funny enough, the movie matched where I was at in my life... 15 years later!
mrscriblam's avatar

mrscriblam

heart wrenching and beautiful in its own childish way
smile_gaurav's avatar

smile_gaurav

I would also second the motion of calling this movie boring. It could be nothing worst than looking at watch and waiting for the movie to get over. The set and direction is quite decent but the movie is very slow.
interpol28's avatar

interpol28

I agree that this film was just ok. Some people might think that it was really memorible but I found it boring

Where the Wild Things Are is an "imagination run rampant" film, but a very different one, as you would expect from director Spike Jonze. Based on the 1963 children's book by Maurice Sendak, it actually has a darker and creepier edge. 9-year-old Max actually runs away from home in the film (not just to his room) and there's something very odd about the monsters he encounters on his journey which isn't just from Sendak. No, the fact that they have very normal voices - the actors don't put on any monsterish tones - make them even more eerie. Max will become their king, but he'll make a mess of things and we'll realize that they represent some of the worst sides of himself - his anger, fear and boredom - and he'll return home having wrangled with inner demons in the only way a child can, through imagination and play. There are some lovely moments, the effects are top-notch and the monsters' expressions especially well done, but its strangeness does keep you at arm's length and I found it more touching in the real world than in the fantasy.
thaisquisito's avatar

thaisquisito

I cried :') looove the monsters <3
MathianSim's avatar

MathianSim

Stark & depressing. Not what I was expecting, but an amazing little piece of film.
diamondladyche's avatar

diamondladyche

(C) Five stars.. It was meloncholoy and kind of slow and dragged for me. I don't know I think I was expecting something TOTALLY diffrent.. something animated.. I looked at this and keep trying to remember had I ever read this book.. the movie didn't do a thing to jog my memory..