akuma587's avatar

akuma587

My favorite chick flick. Pretty hillarious.
halcain's avatar

halcain

A great movie that never gets old!
Vanack Sabbadium's avatar

Vanack Sabbadium

Watched a couple of times, always very funny, a lightweight movie..
eoveikur's avatar

eoveikur

Cute!
killerfembot's avatar

killerfembot

This chick flick contains almost everything I hate about chick flicks - useless attempts to make gorgeous leading lady look "average", love pentagons, cheesy music - and yet, that was an incredibly enjoyable 97 minutes of my life. Yay :)

I understand why Bridget Jones' Diary was a big hit, and perhaps hindsight is confusing my senses because its formula has been adopted by later, more confident films, but Renee Zellweger's big star-making romcom did not work for me. Oh there are some good bits, and the actors are generally engaging (oh look, BSG's Baltar!), but it kept undoing what it was trying to do, I felt. So while on the one hand, the film is a feministisc statement that women should be comfortable as they are and not have to live up to some patriarchal standard of beauty, Bridget does her very best to live up to it, and in any case, it's that tired old movie trope where we all have to pretend a very pretty actress is actually unattractive. What bugger me most though is that because this is meant to be the Diary talking, the movie seemed to take fantastical turns, which surely, would have been all in her imagination (the boss she lusts after suddenly sending her dirty emails, and so on), but then these turn out to really happen, with very little motivation! And please, leave the "healing power of adultery" trope to Woody Allen, he's the only one who can make it work, frankly, and not even 100% of the time. So I didn't believe much of anything in this film, not its female empowerment, not its male characters certainly... It felt as contrived as Zellweger's British accent.