TalkingElvish's avatar

TalkingElvish

A stunning and misunderstood film. Part of the problem is that Don't Look Now is known (and was terribly marketed) as a horror or thriller which is misleading in the modern sense as there is almost no 'action' or scares to speak of.
The legendary and often-appropriated climactic scene doesn't help this image either. As a psychological drama it is peerless; the acting, locations, atmosphere and the rendering of a city-as-memory are all incredible.
God that poster is awful.
Big ander's avatar

Big ander

The Baxter marriage is brilliantly rendered, as is the depth of their grief. Entire thing is damn mesmerizing. Evocatively shot with a perfect close.
Sobchak's avatar

Sobchak

How can this be the best british film?
ngenc's avatar

ngenc

Wow! First class visual storytelling here. Full of cinematic surprises and I loved the editing. Definitely a top cinema work. Story itself was not that interesting but was well told and I found some scenes really scary.
GregT's avatar

GregT

In response to Dawizz' mess:

spoiler

I won't bother with the festival remark because your attitude comes across as childish to me - and your refusal to use spoiler tags supports that notion.
11 months 3 weeks ago
Timec's avatar

Timec

The editing is as masterful as the cinematography. I must say though that the conclusion to the mystery is a bit, uh, unsatisfying to me (also, ridiculous and silly.)
Flowneppets's avatar

Flowneppets

I agree. No way is this the best British film. It's a mess. The only good thing about it is the beautiful cinematography (which is often spoilt by horrible editing and bad sound design).
nes1983's avatar

nes1983

The first hour is really difficult to watch. Although I suppose it is a good movie, I will not recommend it to anybody.
George Bailey's avatar

George Bailey

Sheer brilliance!
quantumystic's avatar

quantumystic

This for me is not the best , "the third man" and "lawrence of arabia" are unquestionably much superior but will retain a position in the top 5 along with barry lyndon and it's a matter of life and death.
Stefan_Novakovic's avatar

Stefan_Novakovic

This may be the most overrated film ever. Like, some novel shots here and there, but an absolute turd of a story. Just don't bother.
KPND's avatar

KPND

I feel like I got trolled, watching this ridiculous crap. An hour and a half of suspense and then... spoiler!??! You've gotta be kidding me. Burst out laughing. Plus, wasting ten minutes on a sex scene didn't help.
I liked the beginning and anticipated that we were building somewhere and all for a total derailment.

The priest obviously didn't want to be fixing the church, but that was just a red herring. Why not do something with that?
Oh, and the sound is awful. The incidental noises (clinking, bumping around, footsteps) are often as loud or louder than the dialogue.
nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

sorrow

BadFluffy's avatar

BadFluffy

I was disappointed. Maybe because I was expecting much after reading everywhere some people saying the "editing was masterful" but seriously, it's not. Editing is an art that relies on pace and cohesion, not splicing in random images or cutting things to close for comfort for the sake of a transition. Great editing should be felt but not visible.
Even the performances are numbed from the technical gymnastics. Meh.
afan's avatar

afan

What a pointless movie. A big turd. No cohesive story what so ever, just a bunch of random scenery that lends to no credible narrative. If this is the number 1 British movie, then I will stay clear of THAT list...