sibane's avatar

sibane

An egg rolls around on the kitchen table. It starts to veer towards the edge. Suspense builds up. Is it going to fall of is it going to take a turn and be saved? Nope. It drops and hits the chandelier in the lavatory.

The ending is unjustifiable. Whether I look at it with reason or feeling, from left or right, up or inside, it's still an ending that left me unsatisfied after quite a lot of build up.

Maybe some day I will learn to enjoy the entire film, but for now, I can only say, Vertigo is ok.
Spinx's avatar

Spinx

Funniest ending ever.
Dewsions's avatar

Dewsions

You've really got to dig deep into Hitchcock's way of dealing with his use of specific shots and cinematography, being a film studies student, this is an excellent film to study, because it allows you to go further and arrive to your own conclusions, even if there are many. Saw this for the first film and I have to admit it had me completely confused but when you go back and watch specific scenes again in depth you can see how clever Alfred Hitchock was with him being a director and adapting the film to his own unique style for spectators.
sammysin's avatar

sammysin

Just watched this on Blu-ray. So so good seeing it looking lovely.
devilsadvocado's avatar

devilsadvocado

Wonderful imagery. Great story. The ending did not do it for me, seemed a bit abrupt and awkward.
fonz's avatar

fonz

Criminally inept and mentally unstable detective stalks a woman to her death twice! all over a beautifully photographed and wonderfully scored San Francisco.
IanWass's avatar

IanWass

Saw this a second time (on the big screen) and it dropped almost fifty spots on my "favorites" list -- granted, there are no established unified criteria for determining the rankings of said list. Initially, I was so caught up in the cinematography, the music, the style, the twist (and ending), and Jimmy Stewart's unsettling possessiveness, objectification, ill-treatment, etc. of Judy/Madeleine (as a self-reflexive mirror of Hitchcock's own well-documented behavior toward women/actresses) that I overlooked some of the film's deficiencies. Maybe this was only meant to be seen once?
T-Made's avatar

T-Made

Incredible film.
monty's avatar

monty

Vertigo - A Look at Color in Film
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmHVYYZZ3w
Zangin's avatar

Zangin

This was my first Hitchcock movie. So, although I thought this movie was good, I was honestly a bit disappointed. First of all, the movie to me seemed divided between two parts. The first part spoiler is a pretty standard though entertaining mystery with a twist at the end and the second part, the rest of the movie, is the real "meat" of the movie. Although the first part is basically just your standard mystery film, the second part deals with a lot more complex themes and issues spoiler. I like how the movie explores these themes but the issue is that by that point, the audience is in on all of the mystery and I did not feel nearly as compelled to continue watching the movie. I think that this greatly decreased the film's effect on me. Another issue that I have with this movie is that a character, and even an entire subplot of the movie seems to be abandoned after the first part. spoiler. Lastly, there is the ending. I actually liked the ending. spoiler.
ComradeVoytek's avatar

ComradeVoytek

All I can really say is, "holy shit."
memo1's avatar

memo1

Hitchcock explaining the movie > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc2s9uSXWKM
ReVision's avatar

ReVision

Not my favorite Hitchcock, it started out great but i didn't like the last half hour and the ending. Still a very good movie though.
lionel42's avatar

lionel42

Hitchcock's 2nd favorite. After Psycho of course.
DynatiaCydonia's avatar

DynatiaCydonia

I think it's my fave Hitch movie, such a haunting love story.