jhhayes's avatar

jhhayes

Not a bad film, per se, but Bigelow's methods do come off as an attempt to rewrite history. This completely distracted me from the film. At times I felt as though I was watching pro-torture propaganda. So according to the film I'm supposed to believe torture led to info that led to the killing of Bin Laden? This is not at all accurate. Do a little research and you'll see for yourself, but don't take my word for it.
U.S. Senator John McCain, who was tortured during his time as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, said that the film left him sick – "because it's wrong". In a speech in the Senate, he said, "Not only did the use of enhanced interrogation techniques on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed not provide us with key leads on bin Laden's courier, Abu Ahmed, it actually produced false and misleading information."[76] McCain and fellow senators Dianne Feinstein and Carl Levin sent a critical letter to Michael Lynton, chairman of the film's distributor, Sony Pictures Entertainment, stating, "[W]ith the release of Zero Dark Thirty, the filmmakers and your production studio are perpetuating the myth that torture is effective. You have a social and moral obligation to get the facts right."
BadFluffy's avatar

BadFluffy

"is disgustingly feminist, all women are super smarts and solve all the problems, but all men are stupid and only serve to fire weapons."

You got the part where that was a real story, yeah? And you'll be happy to know that now that women can serve, they may also serve to fire weapons in future movies. Welcome to the 21st century, Mitt.
Kasparius's avatar

Kasparius

Welcome to how women have felt at the movies for the past 110 years, you misogynistic idiot!!

I don't even like the film, but that is one dumb comment!!
John Milton's avatar

John Milton

Actually Luiz, I am familiar with the writings of the Marquis de Sade and as a historian also somewhat familiar with the concept of a dictatorship, even the 64-85 one in Brazil. I agree that America has committed barbaric atrocities, sometimes it's disgusting. I don't agree however that therefore every piece of literature, art or cinema from the states should be burned at the stake. I certainly don't think this movie glorifies torture or shows the interogators enjoying it. All I ask is that you give something like this a fair chance. You don't see me blurting at the board of films like 'Khane-ye doust kodjast' or 'A Separation' because Iran treats women and atheists unfairly? You should try not to let your preconceptions and/or prejudices influence your Judgement of a piece of cinema.

I am from a cold country (temperature wise, I'd like to think), I suppose you could call it northern, for it is The Netherlands (Holland) I hail from. And rich? well, the economy is down the drain, A lot of people have debts and young people have difficulty getting a house. From what I know, compared to Brazil, The Netherlands still has little to complain about, but the riches sure have diminished compared to the generation before mine..

I don't know where you get the afraid part, but the things I fear are economic meltdown (yes, quite likely because of an American financial crisis), religious wars and massive ignorance. Also, I don't really care when people just blurt out strong opinions (especially when untrue imho) on messageboards without proper context or argumentation, hence my reaction to your post.

p.s. what does the adjective ufanist mean? I tried to google it, but to no avail...
1SO's avatar

1SO

I've never heard of actor Jason Clarke, but he makes a huge impact right up front. As Dan, Clarke personifies the US Government's stance on torture, which changes greatly over the film's 12-year span. He's one of the main guys, good at this type of work though he works extra hard to keep his humanity in check. Similar to Jeremy Renner's character in Hurt Locker, Dan's job is so reckless it's fractured him as a functioning person. He's arguably the best performance in a movie full of great performances.

The raid is everything I hoped for. Everything I knew Bigelow was capable of delivering. Stripped of American revenge jingoism and full of respect for the men doing their job. The camera put you right into the mission, maintaining tension on multiple fronts. My stomach was in knots the entire time. The best piece of sustained cinematic bravura I've seen all year. Worthy of a 2nd Oscar.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Gripping drama. Well acted and involving.
satyanash's avatar

satyanash

Very, very overrated. Many better international thrillers out there. And no, this has nothing to do with political opinion. The film itself was simply not that well made. Dry and stilted cinematography, and the lead actress kept hamming it up.
John Milton's avatar

John Milton

For pleasure? right.... Your meager powers of filmanalysis are almost as worrysome as the act of torture in order to get information.
sureup's avatar

sureup

The last part was cool and probably accurate, most of the rest of the movie was the opposite.

Also I hate the main character, obsessed people like her are probably the reason the US went into Iraq, not that I found her to be very believable anyways... The ending was particularly bad.
tomengler's avatar

tomengler

well that was super overrated
Adrian B AWESOME's avatar

Adrian B AWESOME

I'm not sure how outside of those who don't pay attention think that this film at all glorifies or yreats torture as an effective tool. It's 100% a fact that the US used torture to try and procure information, especially early in the process of hunting bin Laden. It's also a fact that this movie does not even hint that bin Laden was found with torture, as those scenes take place a decade before he was finally found. Luck and a lot of difficult detective work found the dude. The film makes this very clear.
1 month 3 weeks ago
skinny_much's avatar

skinny_much

not the truth, not a good film.
Jashezilla's avatar

Jashezilla

Pulls you in right from the get-go, starts to lose you about half-way through but then draws you in again by introducing Chris Pratt and Joel Edgerton's characters at the half-way mark. Great war film, and a sleek thriller but even more than that, lets you see and experience the measure's the U.S had to take and the losses that they had to go through.

Zero Dark Thirty came under fire for not representing the exact details of the assassination of Bin Laden (man, I'm gonna have that Connor4Real song in my head all day now), for apparently glorifying torture, and for being pro-American propaganda. I don't think those are fair criticisms as 1) "based on" movies aren't documentaries; 2) in the case of the key piece of evidence, we don't see the torture or know how it was vetted; and 3) the Americans are neither completely heroes or villains in this. Leaving any political commentary aside, the film is the kind of procedural spy thriller I tend to enjoy, with a dark and confusing action piece serving as the third act, somewhat appropriate yet more unclear than ambiguous from my perspective. Most people tend to think the first two acts are slow and boring, and the third is terrific; I felt the opposite. I've always felt a certain ambivalence towards Jessica Chastain's performances, and while this is probably her best performance, I've not shaken the feeling completely here. In the end, Zero Dark Thirty is a well-made real-world thriller, but despite the important historical story it tells (just how important - or not - perhaps has yet to be determined), I somehow doubt it will be part of the canon of "great films" for long. Already, the cinematic details are slipping away from me...
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

One of the best movies of 2012.
Jessica Chastain delivers a great performance.
Amazing movie with a really intense ending.
4.25/5