Flicker's avatar

Flicker

I don't understand why Bruce Wayne couldn't have lent Andrea's father the money he needed.
Rohit's avatar

Rohit

Kevin Conroy will always be my favorite Batman
mupp3tbab3h's avatar

mupp3tbab3h

i watched this every time i got my hair cut as a kid
DonkeysRAliens's avatar

DonkeysRAliens

Easily one of the best Batman films
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

This is easily one of my favourite movies. Not only is the story engaging and well-paced, its style is, in my opinion, unsurpassed in the field of Batman movies (sure, there are less than a dozen of them, but we're talking Christopher Nolan and pre-bad Burton). For one, this Batman has the rare opportunity to be the movie's best character. Kevin Conroy gives probably his best Batman performance yet. And Andrea Beaumont is a great addition to the mythos. A character that has a well-encapsulated story, with plenty of emotional punch and Dana Delany's voice. The setting of the 1940s isn't beaten over your head, but emphasized in the visuals. And those visuals. Man, the angles and lighting; They're able to get across so much in silence. Not only great voice acting, but "acting" in terms of animation. The body language and facial expressions are wonderful; They paint vivid pictures in numerous scenes. They do so much with the budget they're given that I'm honestly really impressed. As a comic book and especially an animation enthusiast, I cannot recommend this one enough.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Much better than most of the movies
manwithpetgull's avatar

manwithpetgull

Boy is this overrated. I loved Batman TAS, and there are many, many episodes of that show that are better than the movie, and that even look more cinematic. In truth, I found this story kind of annoying. Bruce is much too naive, the Phantasm is hugely underutilized (and honestly shouldn't have been the character it was revealed to be), and the flashback structure doesn't do anything besides hobble the momentum of the overall story. It feels like there's supposed to be a gradual reveal being pulled off, but it simply isn't interesting enough for all the work it takes to set up. The "World of Tomorrow" fight could've been a lot more fun, in the same vein as the kaiju fight from Crank 2, but they don't really go there. Overall, a disappointment. (And, as Flicker mentions, there was a very simple, convenient plot point that would've prevented damn near everything from happening in the first place.)

As good as any Bruce Timm Batman story, really (and better than many a Batman film), but the animation doesn't get much more extreme than that (though some nice stunts). As for the story, it's unremarkable except for the flashbacks to Bruce Wayne's early attempts at becoming a street avenger. In those sections, it shines. Though I'm not as in love with it as others are, I dare say that for a long time, this was the best Batman feature,
SkilledLunatic's avatar

SkilledLunatic

"Easily one of the best Batman films". I second that.
mook's avatar

mook

Excellent animated feature combining gangsters & villains with mystery, romance & an origin story. 8/10.

Follow me on Twitter @LastFilmSeen
dotexe's avatar

dotexe

Awesome movie but I watched this one and the Redhood one together and was kind of disappointed because they both had the exact same plot.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

I totally agree with mook.
4.25/5