Sokratesz's avatar

Sokratesz

This movie features some of the most retarded scientists in the history of film-making.
Scratch47's avatar

Scratch47

The answer to some of the questions from numerous articles on the BluRay deleted scenes...

The black goo is spoiler

The Engineers take the goo and seed the universe as a kind of ritual sacrifice. Again, this isn't explicit, but it seems they do it because they can.

All the Engineers spoiler

Milburn's an entomologist (studies insects), and so loves snakes and doesn't mind baiting them. (Still stupid though)

Holloway is grumpy because he wanted live engineers and is so, pissed off when spoiler

spoiler

Guy Pearce was cast because there was a dream sequence scripted involving David and his 40 year old self that wasn't included.

Meredith Vickers spoiler

spoiler

The Captain and Vickers ended up hooking up due to the fact they had a few deleted scenes involving flirting that were prior to that scene.

He then later spoiler because he had a military past which involved his running foul of a contamination outbreak, and knows the consequences of inaction.

This answers some but not all of the questions here: http://www.juliansanchez.com/2012/06/11/whats-wrong-with-prometheus-a-partial-list Most questions are either due to sloppy plotting, or just overemphasis on the thematics: life, creation, father vs son, identity, purpose, origins and final destination, the unknown, the insignificant nihilism of creation and destruction, loss and transcendence, and religious mythology...the only difference is Alien didn't make us *have* to think in order to explore its' own logic.

My old and very extensive review is at the top of page 5. http://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/prometheus/comments/?page=5
patfeerick's avatar

patfeerick

First 3 minutes with Fassbender by himself watching "Lawrence of Arabia" and playing basketball is the best part.
Big A2's avatar

Big A2

They should have called this movie "Space Octopus vs. The Michelin Man".
Iguana's avatar

Iguana

This was probably the most illogical film I've ever watched. The dialogs, the characters were just unrealistic and pointless. The plot was so disconnected and full of holes that it feels like an insult to your intelligence. No action/ no horror, just some good visuals and a "robot" doesn't make a good science fiction film, I am very dissapointed..
Scratch47's avatar

Scratch47

LONG-ASS review, but I love the Alien saga, so deal. I changed it around a lot at first and more now that it's out on DVD/BR. Seeing the explanations as mood driven and implicit helps you see things much more clearly here. Plus paying attention also helps. Definite answers don't help when it comes to themes this big anyway.

THE GOOD
Lots of open-ended great ideas that create mood and social theories. To take the first scene, spoiler
These questions are enough in quantity and quality to fall into the realm of 'fascinating, I want more', particularly as we are afforded enough explanation to draw our own conclusions, though the atmospheric charge and subtle class warfare of Alien is missed a little in giving these HugeIdeas a deeper chill and psychosexual gravity.

The ruminations on Darwinism and Christian faith, the ruminations on BigQuestions, and allusions to visual horror initially qualify this work in the realm of GoodIdeasBasedSciFi(TM). The omnipresent effects, production, photography, sets, and creatures, are all good to amazing, and pretty astounding on a home rewatch. At the cinema it was difficult to not feel like the visuals were undermined by 3 decades of Giger imitation, but now that's not a problem. The impact of the horror is genuinely unsettling and powerful. The central performances are good - Fassbender particularly spoiler Noomi Rapace does incredibly well too, gorgeous and tough - serving as the audience role, you watch her faith in humanity get tested to the limit as she escapes with her life in true Jamie Lee Curtis fashion. Against her personal and spiritual perspective, many of the films' flaws find grace.
There are terrific individual moments that come together in a strong drive by the end: the Caesarean scene (bye bye placenta - OW), the aforementioned early montage, a dizzingly lush throne room map, and the sly closing moments that were intended as a hint towards 'ancestry' of sorts. SO - When framed as 'mission gone wrong' versus 'ponderous epic Alien prequel' - it works excellently.

THE LESS GOOD
There are in fact, TOO MANY unanswered questions that serve as blatant sequel bait, and tip the Interest-Scale from 'fascinating' to 'overwhelming'.
The plot and script are almost deliberately unclear and inconclusive - unless if you believe like David, that 'the answer is irrelevant'. This is where the questions become overabundant. The one thing that is hard to dispute even on a second viewing, is that the secondary characters are flat, stupid, weak unlikeable cutouts suffering from lazy dialogue and extremely poor reasoning. spoiler In retrospect, these are relatively minor points from the view of the central nihilistic thematic drive, and it IS one of the only real problems here, but unless you grant their lack of characterization as a means of the movie treating them as expendable to a sadistic mood, it's still a problem. The aliens often act as compulsively and stupidly as the humans do, almost turning 'serial killer' in the final reel. Why bother driving the film from their perspective even remotely? I understand that only the characters who are driven by the core of 'optimistic creation in the yawning black gulf of evolution' get a say in where the film goes, or even get noticed in this film, but would it have hurt to have tried just a little? I'm thankful that upon repeats, this issue is not so prevalent.

On your first viewing, you may find that the seemingly needless, myriad plot holes undermine the potential atmosphere: HAVING to think, versus being invited to think, during moments of tension, RUINS horror. The often inconsistent pacing and momentum don't do wonders for the internal claustrophobia, often lurching and halting as we move between two ships, and the overdone philosophising and religious overtone (Contact meets Star Trek by way of 2001 lite) only compounds the problem. It's almost as if exploration of character was shoved aside because it was getting in the way of a schoolyard debate. Yet these problems do smooth out on a second viewing now it's out on DVD, as in the light of hindsight not only do expectation and hype vanish, but people stop holding a grudge, so you can grant directorial intention, in a film as ambivalent as this, benefit of the doubt. A mood of ominous existentialism is the name of the game here.
Other things that are stupid at first but forgiveable: Guy Pearce's old age makeup, the bland music irritates, a particular secret involving Theron's character is totally extraneous, and by the end, the Space Jockey mysticism could be somewhat ruined for some. (but on second viewing, I realise that Alien's majestic atmosphere will never be spoiled).

Was it worth it for the final scenes? At first I wasn't sure. Between my unanswered questions, I was left with the feeling of a very diffuse work where you veer randomly between moments of mediocrity and sheer excellence. Now the smoke has cleared, I can see just how excellent, flawless even, the flow and sheer intensity of the action scenes in the second half really are, having been perfectly imbued with some of the spirit of sci-fi's best. Many will leave the cinema both frustrated and a little exhilarated from the rollercoaster vertigo: one of the worst kinds of cinema experiences.

DESPITE ALL THAT - it still works. It makes just enough sense as it needs to, if you view it from the angle of 'humans shouldn't be optimistic, this place is death!' instead of carrying expectanty of Xenomorphology.
The optimistic drive sees this work through to its end, but it's not a truly great film because beyond the aforementioned singular idea, unless you are willing to perceive the mood Scott seeks to insinuate, all you have is a bunch of uneven cinematic devices. Great direction doesn't save a script written by those who thrive on the tightrope of ambiguity and incompletion, and you have the writers of Lost to thank for that: what a surprise. If anyone is to blame for these flaws, it's them.

Overall, there is style and content, epic, sublime and intensely unnerving, but no real conclusive narrative form and many easily avoided pitfalls, yet it's forgiveable really. The open-ended approach is both a gift and a curse for those who see one good form of narrative struggling to emerge from about 3 other halfbaked ones at the same time.
Still, you treat this as not-Alien-related and you'll be OK, if you don't spend your time taking apart what is essentially a film about the created-turned-Gods being brought low by their own creators. (Thorkell here seems to be the closest to touching the center of this). This movie is going to be divisive and get people talking - which is what I suspect Lindelhof and Scott, rather cynically, TRULY want.

Put this back in the oven, it's a great film struggling to get out. Or give it a second spin in the microwave, and take it for a second opinion, and you might find you're wrong.
sureup's avatar

sureup

This movie made me want to watch the Alien movies again because they are much, much better.
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

Prometheus probes at grand questions about the reasons for creation while providing a treat for fans of the Alien series by showing the origins of the "space jockey". Its action is watchable and engrossing, but it ultimately isn't more than the sum of its very good parts (including great performances from all).

Recommended for fans of Alien, less so for others unless they might like the proto-Alien, proto-horror philosophical mix present here.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

This is a movie that keeps me arguing with myself about how good or bad I consider it. The first time I watched it I was impressed by the great pictures of landscapes and by Michael Fassbender's role, the robot - but I was very disappointed by the way the story was told. Watching the trailer, I had expected so much more mystery and an atmosphere of anxiety and menace, combined with a visionary explanation of what exactly the crew of the Prometheus was going to find. This expectation was only partly met and it turned out to be more of an alien-horror-movie and less of a mysterious story. However I have watched the movie again since and I liked it better than the first time. I'm also hoping that some more facts will be revealed if there's really going to be a second part. All in all, the movie is not bad and I loved Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron - plus, I'm looking forward to the second part. (By the way, I do not really know the "Alien"-movies.)

EDIT: So, some months after seeing the movie for the first time, I have - believe it or not - decided to make it a favourite of mine. For me, it just keeps getting better the more often I see it - and in the end, I DO like movies that asks more questions than they answer... plus, I do hope that there will be a second part and the story will continue. What I just love about the movie is the character David, and I also like Idris Elba as the captain more and more. The overall atmosphere and everything combined finally made me favourite the movie.

The Alien prequel, Prometheus, seems to have been met with resounding ambivalence, and I think that's in large part because it isn't really an Alien film. It takes place in the same universe, and Ridley Scott approaches some of the material the same way (on-screen titles, walking through the set, the thematic connection to sex and parenthood), but it plays less like horror and more like an exploration and first contact story. Even the music put me in mind of Star Trek. It's an Alien film with an actual sense of wonder. It's nowhere near as iconic as Alien or Aliens, but it's still way better than any of the other chapters in the franchise (I realize the bar wasn't set very high). It surprises with new monsters, earlier forms of the xenomorph, and their origin, and opens up the universe for further prequel explorations (a second film has been announced, but I don't know how solid that announcement is). It doesn't actually connect perfectly to what we see at the start of Alien and I can't quite explain the discrepancies when everything else is pointing in the right direction, but as a stand-alone film, Scott gives us a well-executed SF thriller, his visual style brilliantly playing with symmetry and asymmetry and making the environments come alive.
Marazmatique's avatar

Marazmatique

Eyecandy... Though my definition of that word is not the most orthodox one.
bitchypixels's avatar

bitchypixels

Stunning to look at but that's about it.
greenhorg's avatar

greenhorg

Every time they show the alien planet, you expect Sigur Ros to start playing in the background.

Also there were no scenes in which Guy Pearce was young. So, unless there's going to be some sort of prequel prequel, what was the point of casting him in the role of an old person? Did Hollywood run out of old actors? Do FX makeup people have some sort of sweet contract guaranteeing them work? After J. Edgar and Mr. Nobody, I don't know how much more thick, rubbery, old guy make-up I can take.
Limbesdautomne's avatar

Limbesdautomne

I would like to buy this film not Prométhée.
8 months ago
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

I think I held off commenting here because I think the new sequel Alien: Covenant gives us a good idea of what this movie is all about. In short, it wasn't enough for Ridley Scott to make more Alien movies. He figured that audiences wanted more, it wasn't enough to just watch eggs and facehuggers and aliens running around killing people, we apparently needed to know the origins of the famous horror movie creature. Thus the new series of Alien movies were born starting here.

The question I keep asking myself is... do we really need to know the origin story here? When Prometheus came out, the vast majority of reviewers didn't even label it an "Alien" film, but merely taking place in the same universe. It certainly tries to tell this massive and grand story behind the simple yet awesome creature that is the Xenomorph and I can't help but feel that it is just too complex. It's probably why Covenant was so simple in comparison (and I would argue far too simple.) It's just seems like such a tortuous way to tackle philosophy, mythology, and universal concepts within a film series that is primarily based on action and horror in the perfect amounts.
10 months 2 weeks ago