The Maltese Falcon is all about Bogart. His slick take on Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade is the essence of cool, a fast talker who never lets anyone see him sweat even when his chips are down. He's not just delivering cracking lines either, he's having FUN doing it. It's his smile during the dangerous bits that makes him so great in the role. And it's a film filled with interesting roles. The villains are all quirky, interesting and even funny - memorable! - though I had some issues with Mary Astor as a bad girl, I dunno. As for the plot, a hunt for cinema's most famous MacGuffin, it hardly seems important except to get all these characters into conflict with one another. And it really doesn't matter. Who knew Noir could be so joyfully fun?
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

I know this is a much loved film noir but I really didn't like it that much. There wasn't a lot of tension, just a lot of talk with some annoying characters......Maybe a second viewing is needed to "get it". ....
MalteseFalcon2's avatar

MalteseFalcon2

My favorite film of all time.
BigAwesomeBLT's avatar

BigAwesomeBLT

Could not disagree more with @deanroskell; i loved this film noir and hated Double Indemnity. The Maltese Falcon moved really fast, kept you interested and had a great plot. Aside from him calling his secretary "Sweetheart" and everyone wearing a hat all the time, this film has aged really well.
deanroskell's avatar

deanroskell

I've been watching a lot of film noir over the last few months, which has been a great experience. Finally being able to see all these films I've heard about (and some I'd not). Today I watched The Maltese Falcon, this is one I'd heard name dropped the most, but now sitting here after the credits have rolled, I'm not sure why that is, I really struggled to enjoy it, the film didn't flow well, scenes meandered, or didn't build to a rightful tense conclusion. Maybe it's not fair to say because it's older, but I kept thinking of the excitement I had watching Double Indemnity, and how it wasn't present here.

I feel like I'll have to chalk this one up as being one of those well loved films that I just don't see the fun of, or maybe I'll try again in a few years to see if things change.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

spoiler

3.75/5
ReVision's avatar

ReVision

Fantastic mystery, and i just love Humphrey Bogart! My favorite Film-Noir so far!
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Brilliant movie, a progressive mystery plot that gets better and better as the movie flows..
Zeltaebar's avatar

Zeltaebar

I watched this movie expecting a crime mystery and was terribly dissapointed. I hated it. But I suspect I went into it on the wrong premises. I should have expected a quirky study of different characters. I probably should give it another try with an altered mindset.
contrafugal's avatar

contrafugal

You've got brains! Yes you have...

Huh?
seithscott's avatar

seithscott

Just watched this again. Just plain magnificent, better than Casablanca. Bogart and Greenstreet have some amazing chemistry in this movie.
BetweenDreaming's avatar

BetweenDreaming

Great film
Wise Jake's avatar

Wise Jake

Great film noir, second half is brilliant. Bogart is incendiary.
afan's avatar

afan

LOL "when you're slapped, you'll take it and like it!"

:D :D :D